1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cable control solenoid

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by pheasantfarmer, Dec 29, 2010.

1. pheasantfarmer

pheasantfarmer Member
    from MN

So I bought a western plow cable mounted for my 85 f-250. I am in the process of installing it.
    My question is do I need a solenoid attached to the little black wire coming from the controller?
    If so is there a good place to order it from online?

Also any other hint on installing a a cable controlled western would be appreciate, Thanks!!!

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

3. pheasantfarmer

pheasantfarmer Member
    from MN

so then i need to find a western dealer and they should be able to order me one?? Or are there places online i can just order it from? Thanks

4. RMHSR

RMHSR Member

Been awhile since I had one but I think you should be able to go to a parts store and as long as it has the two smaller terminals on the bottom and you wire it like the diagram I think it should work. If not discountsnowplowparts.com carries them.
    Another pointer with the cable that I had alot of problems with. The lift/lower cable has a small margin of error. On mine I had one small sweet spot that it would go up all the way and drop. Otherwise, it would drop and not raise or it would raise and not drop. Keep the cables as straight as possible with minimal bends. The angle cable has adjustment but the lift/lower cable does not.
    On mine the small set screws stripped out so I had to use a bolt and then I used a hose clamp around the base and bolt to make sure the bolt didn't come loose. If that happens then you have to readjust again (which sucks in the middle of a lot that you are trying to plow).

5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

6. pheasantfarmer

pheasantfarmer Member
    from MN

oh ok thanks a bunch guys. Yeah I have heard the cable set-up is bullet proof but can be a pain adjusting the cables to find the sweet spot.

yeah i use nape i guess i will have to try to find a solenoid like that or have my buddy who works there find it.