1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cable Control Problem... B&B...

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by linckeil, Mar 3, 2009.

1. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

The plow angles extremely slowly (sometimes not at all) to the left. The motor seems to whine as if its under a heavy load when trying to angle left. And when you are out of the truck you can push it manually to the left with no resistance (you can’t always push it manually, but most of the time you can). I believe it is a cushion value, or cross over relief issue. Sometimes when I disconnect both hoses then reconnect them, it angles properly for a very brief period – maybe it’s as simple as the couplers? But this is probably just a weird coincidence.

Angling right, lifting up, or dropping down all work properly. And it is not a cable issue. i disconnected the cable and moved the pivot manually while grounding the solenoid and it operates the same.

any ideas? whats my next move?
  2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Are you sure its not a cable problem. How wore out is the cable box. Try adjusting the c able first to the minimum then to the max, see if there is a change. (I know you said its not a cable problem, so though I made these suggestions I dont mean to annoy you.)
  3. linckeil

from CT

definetly not a cable/control box issue. i've had issues with cables before, the plow functions the same with the cable connected or disconnected. and the cables would have nothing to do with me being able to physically push the plow to the left.
  4. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

i assume you have no leaks
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Pull the driver side cushion valve out and give it a good cleaning, inspect the cusion needle for damage and the spring to be sure it's not collapsed, if it is replace it.

And change BOTH the quick couplers too.

Should fix you up. :waving:
  6. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

I would start with the quick couplers. Especially if you've run the plow into something hard. I know that the cable operated westerns have an internal pressure relief valve that is supposed to eliminate shock but the quick couplers might be weaker than the pressure relief valve. I hit a frozen down chunk of ice and blew out a hose and it also made a dent in the end of the male quick coupler fluid stop. This dent wouldn't allow the fluid to travel from the male side to the female side but it would allow fluid travel from female side to the male side.
  7. linckeil

from CT

i meant to reply to this thread last week.... yes, it was the couplers - well one coupler, but i swapped them both out. easy fix and plow works great. thanks guys.