1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cable control conversion??

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ed39, Dec 16, 2007.

1. ed39

ed39 Senior Member

Is it possible to take the cable drive control plow setup and convert it to the first mm1 electric style pump. the pumps look very similar and im thinking there is a way to swap out the cable drive for some electronics? or i am i wrong?

2. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i have a friend that has a speed cast that is Electric Hydraulic that has a cable to full electric conversion. it works with a minute mount 1 controls. i am not sure exaclty what has to be done but it looks as if the valve body is just different. he bought the plow on the truck. works great.

3. ed39

ed39 Senior Member

i realize that the early mm1 electric pump looks exactly the same as the electric speed cast pump, the only diffrence thati see is ware the cables/controls are maybe i can get the mm1 box that looks like it bolts to the side and have full electric controls any one else have any input?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can't convert a cable op pump to an electric pump unit by adding the valve body on the side..the main pump housings are completely different

You only real option is to ditch the cable pump and update the complete pump unit to the newer electric op pump..

5. ed39

ed39 Senior Member

Even the early mm1 one pumps that look exactly the same as the cable pump. i know the later mm pumps are completly diffrent but the early ones look the same. so i would still need to change the pump over to the newer stlye and get rid of the cable completly?

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Yup, need to switch everything.

One option is to look at a Fenner, Barnes or Monarch hyd pump. With the older truck you could mount it under the hood on the inner fender and would be alot cheaper than trying to switch every thing over to new fischer stuff.

7. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i will hopefully get to take some pic of his plow truck this week. i will post them soon

8. ed39

ed39 Senior Member

ok thanks guys.. i will look foward to seeing the pics!!

9. snord

snord Junior Member

newer Insta-Act on conventional mount

I decided to switch out the cable unit that came with the plow because I wanted the speed and reliability of an electronic setup. The main disadvantage I hear is the cost, but I got most of the parts on ebay for about 1/2 the cost of new.

Jan2008-4.jpg

10. bigstumpyd

bigstumpyd Junior Member

What year ford Snord? I have a 79 one ton and want to do the same exact thing. I have a western! Any info would be great