1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cable Chains

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GAD, Mar 25, 2003.

1. GAD

GAD Junior Member
    from israel

hii all !

a bit off-topic - not about plowing

what is your experience with cable chains
    - SCC - SECURITY CHAIN CO. or other

on ford econoline

on trucks that do not have a snow plow.

what about using chains on the out side tire
    of the twin tyres when the snow is not so severe ?

2. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Cable chains are somewhere in between chain chains and nothing. They do work, but not as well as true chains. They are no where near as durable and will break easier than chains when spinning a wheel. As for putting chains on the outside tire of a Dual rear setup that should work fine.

3. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

We use em. Mostly on our 1 ton 2wd. Put on outside duel. The truck gets around great. Even drove the thing 70 mph before I could get my help to pull over. The idiot! We still drive around 40 when needed. They go on and off real fast. We only get an average of 15 inches a year and at least 2 ice events. So far they have held up well. (our 3rd season) For real snowy areas, the regular tire chains would proably be better suited. :p
  4. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I ran the cable chains for 2 events,well actually 1 1/2,i broke one going up a steep azz drive during the big christmas storm,had to stop half way up to take it off and there i sat,stuck!Since then i picked up a set of real chains and never looked back.

When they were in one piece they actually worked pretty good,they just couldn't take the rigors of heavy plowing,oh well i should have known better.
  5. GAD

GAD Junior Member
    from israel

thanks for the 3 answers

waiting to more comments from others
  6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ