1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cable Chains

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BPK63, Jun 6, 2010.

1. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I have a K1500 and live on a hill from hell. Sometimes when it's icy my rear wheels spin even in 4wd so I got some heavy duty chains last year. Holy Crap it's impossible to drive anywhere with those things and no matter what, after 15 mph something is banging. Anybody ever use the cable chains? The chains are sized right for the tires and I've given up on them. Just wondering who uses the cable chains?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Chains rule for plowing. But you have to keep tightening them till you get all the slack out. I just drive them a bit, then tighten. Lots of heavy duty bungees help too.

3. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

What he said.......but you really shouldn't go too fast with them on anyway. I would try and keep it at 25 MPH even if properly tightened. Get yourself a good jack and its only a matter of minutes to take them on and off.

prsport

4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

the cables are much easier on the truck than chains when driving down the road. they won't offer the traction of real chains, but still a huge improvement over nothing. i run 4 studded snows which usually takes me most anywhere i need to be, but if the forecast is for snow, then sleet, then freezing rain i usually put a set of cables in the rear so i know i can get up the hilly driveways. the furthest i go between driveways is about a mile, with most right next to each other, so its no big deal. but if you're traveling a good distance, the cables will wear out faster and your speed will be limited. i keep a set in the truck all winter just in case and have a second set in the garage. they are cheap insurance.