1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cabela's tractors

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by derekslawncare, Nov 30, 2015.

1. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone know anything about these tractors? I know zero about Ag tractors, so was just wanting someone to read the specs on this and let me know what they think. Thinking of replacing my skid steer with this, but am COMPLETELY ignorant on the subject. Stuff like the Deutz engine (never heard of them) shuttle shift trans- is this like a riding mower that you clutch, choose gear then go or can you upshift/downshift on the fly w/o clutching? I want hydro-static I think, don't I? Main uses would be brush hogging, loading salt, plowing and minor dirt work around my 10 acres. I'm happy with my SV-250 for all the above except that I got it stuck 4 times this year out trying to mow my pasture and had to get a neighbor that bales part of my land to come pull me out with his JD. It got around like it wasn't even soft. So you guys that run Ag tractors, how do the specs of this unit align with yours? I'm told by the salesman at Cabelas that he can do better on price than what is listed here and that it also comes with a $2000.00 gift card to the store, so the way I see it, buy the tractor, get a free AR.:gunsfiring:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/auto...6.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/_/N-1118271

2. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

It's worth the money to spend the extra for a Kubota or JD. The cabelas tractors are hard to find someone to work on things like Trans or hydraulic systems and such. And finding parts isn't easy either.

3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'm all for a free AR but where would you take it for warranty work and where would you get parts?

I'd stick with JD, Kubota, Case or New Holland in that order.

4. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I'm sure it's not a cabela tractor find out who makes them and see what the mark up is

5. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

6. derekslawncare

According to the store's salesman, full service/parts are available at the store which is about 45 minutes (good weather) from me. They come with a 3 yr bumper to bumper warranty and 5yr drivetrain warranty.

7. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I don't know to much about tractors. But if I was dropping 45,000 on one I'd be getting A quality name brand one. The name brand ones could live longer than you

8. derekslawncare

I haven't priced Kubota in a couple years, can you get a brand new 75 hp Kubota for 40k?

9. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

M5 with cab is going to be 55k

10. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Mahrinda is in your range

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

If the Cabela's service center is anything like the one in Sidney Neb their main focus is boats and OB motors. They do sell those tractors their but I would question the parts inventory and ability's to service the tractor beyond general maintenance.

You can go to JD or Kubota's web and "build/spec" a tractor to get an idea of cost.

bota.jpg

12. DirtBound

DirtBound Junior Member

I just picked up a 2006 TYM T293 HST with a 60" blower, bucket and deck. So far I can't complain about it at all it's nicer than the 2013 Kubota I was looking at and has more features. The Mitsubishi 29HP 3 CYL Diesel runs smooth and powerful.

13. pasto_guy

pasto_guy Member

I've got a JD. I love it and my local dealer is top notch. Sure I might have paid a bit more than other brands however there is comfort in knowing that I'm taken care of by my local guys. If you can't afford the parts and services then you need to up your prices. Just my 2 cents and it's free!

14. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I would only purchase a Kubota or New Holland. Have a L4600 that is around 6-7 years old and have never had a single issue with it. But I am not using it for snow, strictly farm duty.

15. derekslawncare

Several good responses with lots of valid points guys. Thank you and keep them coming. My responses to several of you above. First off, my free AR comment was meant as a joke. Obviously, I would NOT make a huge business decision based on getting the AR, just that it would be a bonus. As for raising my prices to afford parts/maintenance, that is isn't the issue. I would be doing a majority of the maintenance myself and oil changes and filters are cheap. My concern is when something breaks and I need it fixed. Obviously, If I went with a JD or Kubota, those types of repairs are going to be done quicker/easier than taking it back to Cabelas. My thing with price is is there REALLY $15k difference in quality/reliability between these. If the purchase price was only 3-4k difference, I wouldn't even think twice and would go with a name brand, but whatever I get will have to be financed, so $15k difference makes a difference. Also, as for going on the websites and build and specing, that is my problem because as I said, I'm ignorant about tractors. I don't know what options I need to add or can do without. I don't know what flow rates I need to be looking for to have in order to be able to say, run a blower down the road if need be or stuff like that. Those are the kinds of things that I need your knowledge on. Thanks again.

16. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I wouldn't personally. There is something to be said in supporting a local dealer. They treat you better when you break something and are probably more skilled. I also would go for a name brand one but that is just me I can't say anything bad about the tractor.
    If you so get it I'd use the 2k for a loader or brush hog

17. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

I just have to stick with the old saying of you get what you pay for.

18. derekslawncare

Also, if I'm going to look at and price these, how big of a machine do I need to run my HLA 3200914 snow wing? I'm thinking a machine somewhere in the 75-100 hp range? Is that going to do everything I want?

19. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

i would check with your local massy dealer...have had real good luck with mine

20. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

They show the 3200914 on a John Deere 5075E - the John Deere is 75HP