1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cab swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chithook, Aug 2, 2003.

1. chithook

chithook Junior Member
    from ohio

Can anyone tell me if cab from 84 will bolt to 76 frame without any major mods
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Yes it will bolt up with some minor differences.The 76 doors,hood and cowl are different.The older trucks had the cowl cover as part of the hood.Doors are different,just can't remember off hand what the difference is.

If you have a complete cab,with door,cowl,and hood,then it will be pretty much a bolt on affair.The fenders are the same from 73-87.You will also need the newer style wiper motor,linkage and pivots,as they are different with the newer cab.
  3. jlsanborn

jlsanborn Member

I used the doors off my '83 Burban for my '77 Crew Cab. The sheet metal is the same. The wing window is a different profile and the door handle / door panels are a little different.
    wyldman stated that the fenders are the same from '73-'87. There was a change in there i think around '80. The later years with the rigidly mounted cowl had fenders that sloped towards the front.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

You are correct about the fenders.They are different to fit the different cowls.
  5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Yup, 73 - 80 fenders are the same, and 81 - 87 are the same. They are also different to fit the hood. The 81 - 87 fenders are a little narrower at the top.

Also, not that it makes a difference, but the marker lights are horizontal on 81 - 87, as opposed to vertical on 73 - 80. That is a quick way to get a general idea of what year a truck might be, even with a quick glance.

6. chithook

chithook Junior Member
    from ohio

Chithook here would just like to thank everyone for their onput on the cab swap.The deal fell thru so I'm out shopping again,once again thanks.