1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cab n' Chassis Muffler ?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by PlowboyVT, Apr 27, 2011.

1. PlowboyVT

PlowboyVT Member
    from VT

I have an 06' 350 dump V-10. I am looking to replace the muffler. The dealer wants about $600(list $790)....Can"t seem to find anything on-line....Parts store has no listing. Wondering what anybody else has done. The muffler and tailpipe are one piece.

2. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Most exhaust shops will work with you and can cut the muffler out and replace it with a generic one with the same size inlet outlet, they'll just reuse your tail. And even if your tail is bad and you cant get one, any reputable exhaust place will be able to bend you a new one in house. Get an estimate from one, might surprise you!
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  3. Bigfoot Brent

Bigfoot Brent Senior Member

I would recomend that you go to an exhaust shop as well.
    $600 for a muffler is insane, I buy ones for big trucks(5" in and out, 4' long) for $60.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

My favorite ghetto muffler shop does jobs cheaper then I can buy the parts most times.
    Stay away from the chain places. They are out to fleece the unwary. If the pipe is not prebent they can"t do it.
    You could get a Gibson stainless system for less then $600.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  5. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

who needs a muffler....

i like my V10 without a muffler lol

again go to a local shop they will be able to help you. a flowmaster 50 series or 70 series would be close to stock.
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

My adapter pipe from my stock cross over to my Gibson ( 5.4 ) exhaust came loose. It did sound cool as hell !
    Got the evil eye from too may cops. So I fixed it.
  7. Chipper

Chipper Member

I agree no muffler. Just straight pipe and dump it down just in front of the rear axle. Never have to worry about damage and it helps muffle the sound. Mine's a diesel though. Sure sounds cool with the turbo whine.
  8. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

You can straight pipe a turbo diesel. The turbo is actually considered a muffling device in some states. I hope Illinois is one of them!! But a straight piped gasser is way too loud, and sounds like crap, IMO.