1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cab lights?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by farmerkev, Aug 7, 2008.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I know they arent strobes but I have a question anyway. I need to connect them to my 12 volt supply. I want them to have a seperate toggle switch. Heres my plan, if it would work could I get more detail or be told if Im doing it wrong.

The accessory outlets are 12 volt, so I could splice into them (somehow) and run the wire to a toggle in the compartment where my ashtray should be (its not there) and from the toggle up behind the interior to the lights on the top.

2. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

It's not very clear what you are asking here. Are you adding cab lights or do you already have them? Make and model of truck? What is it you're trying to do here?

3. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Sorry. I have a 1996 Cheyenne 3/4 ton (Im tired, left alot out :sleeping:) I want to hook up 5 cab lights (teardrop shape things is the best i can describe them) in the front of the cab roof. They have a wire that comes trough a hole drilled in a cab. It says to attach to a 12 volt supply. I want to run them to a feed wire with a toggle in it, and then into the wireing for the accesory outlets. Is this possible?

4. BlueLine Ent

Yes its possible but it makes no sense to hook them to the accessory outlets, they draw too much power for that. You wouldnt be able to run anything else off your outlet. Run the + from an ignition source or from the parking light source to the toggle switch, then to the + of the lights. Run the ground (-) directly to the battery or other well grounded spot on the frame or body.

5. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Okay. The lights groun themselves when screwed in place.

6. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

How do you hook up into the parking lights source?

7. BlueLine Ent

You need to tap the + wire into the + wire of a parking light.

8. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Nevermind, I finished, Ill post some pics later. I ran the feed directly to the power supply in the fuse box, and threw a toggle in the middle.