1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cab Lights Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sidthss, Feb 1, 2010.

1. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

Does Chevy run power wires up to the roof for cab lights even if they were not put on from the factory? My truck is a 2002 2500 HD ec/sb, thought I would ask before I go tearin into it.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You won't find the cab light harness in there already, they didn't do it. Not too bad of a job to add it though. It plugs right into the passenger side junction block. Just need to pull the right hand trim panel and the very front of the headliner for routing access. Laying out and drilling the holes for the lights themselves is the biggest time consumer.

3. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Also to add... If your looking to buy the factory harness, check out gmpartsdirect.com if you can't find it out of a totalled truck or something... I'm sure they are a TON cheaper than any stealership...

4. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

Ok, thanks guys.

5. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Cab lights are kinda funny. They are only a $55 option from the factory. Can't even buy them aftermarket for that.

6. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

Mine had all the wires all the way to the top. they where hooked up to a button on the dash too. The guy who installed them said all he had to do was drill and plug in. if you were to have the harness already on there should be a button on the dash that looks like a truck cab.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's for a roof beacon, not roof clearance lamps, which are tied into the marker lights.

8. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Is that the same button as the strobe aux. light button? Wires run up there for that.

9. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Usually everything is cheaper from the factory which I find hilarious. Like you said, you can't even buy a light set and harness for anything enar $55 let alone the work you need to do to install them. Just remember, measure 10 times, drill once!:realmad:

10. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

Ya, I have done them several times before on other older trucks, but I was just wondering if my new truck would be easy on me and at least have a harness up there, but oh well I just have to do it the old fashoned way.

11. scaper27

scaper27 Member

I have gmc 2500 recon lights. Stock from GM. I upgraded mine to LEDs. I have the 3 light system. Stock from GM

12. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

13. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

LMC has a real good price for all their cab lights, even the crystal leds are priced just around everyone else. Stock ambers go for $50, probably going to get a set from lmc, unless anybody has a set of stock amber 3 piece cab lights laying around they want to sell.

14. plowman_25

plowman_25 Member

your lucky if you can find a used set around, they sell like hot cakes....

someone had a set on here before and it only took about 20 minutes for them to go.

i'm looking for some too....im thinking about going with recons

15. scaper27

scaper27 Member

I have the used gm lights for the gmc 2500. Make an offer

16. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

$30-$40?? Willing to ship?

17. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

good reading, bringing this back I want to install a set on my truck

18. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Get the late 90s C/K style. They look better and have 5 separate lights instead of three n middle.

[​IMG]

19. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

[
    I disagree with that, but to each their own.

20. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I personally like the cab lights that GM used from the late 60's until the mid 80's on the 1/2 tons throught the 1 tons. I think they started using them again recently on some vehicles because I saw a fairly new firetruck with those style cab lights.

I did install the five piece 90's style on my 98 ext-cab Z71 and it was nerve racking drilling that first hole. After that, I was commited so it wasn't too bad from there. I used a factory harness that I got at a junkyard which made things easier. Have fun.

Wayne