1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cab leaks

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Dogplow Dodge, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Anyone here know how to fix cab leaks ? I replaced all my seals in my truck, and I spent some time in the rain today figuring out where the remaining leaks are. I had the idea the the wing windows were the main cause, and I was right, but more importantly, I found another major leak that I would have never envisioned.

Speaker hole leaking..... The water is getting inside the door (which is considered somewhat normal for these older trucks) hitting the top of the speakers, and coming directly into the cab on the wrong side of the door seals.... ARGH !:mad:

Any ideas about how to get the speaker sealed properly ? Boat speakers, maybe ? I know this isn't good for the speakers themselves, but it appears that the main reason these trucks rot out is because of this stupid design where water gets into the cab, under the mat and never drains.....

I guess I could drill a hole in the floor, but that would be too easy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With reference to the wing window, either I'm going to silicone the thing shut, as the seal is no longer available (I had to use an earlier style new seal which obviously doesn't seal right).... unless someone out there in internet land has a better idea (hopefully brilliant)

And all of this after accidentally smearing dog crap all over myself loading a trailer with debris that happened to be sitting in the dog crap prior to me picking it up...

Great day !:angry:

2. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

first try to find new bottom of window opening seals/ rubbers. when they are dry and old water seaps right into door. I know on my trucks I replace every 3-4 yrs due to plowing with window open. they get dry brittle and broken. otherwise silicone the back edge of speaker where it meets door and dont forget the screw holes. always can adhesive a piece of shower pan liner to inside of speaker opening so it covers back of speaker. Most real auto parts stores that sell paint and body supplies have panel adhesive . works the best.:mechanic:

3. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Thanks Frog...

You gave me an idea I'll try out this weekend with some rubberized flashing I've been using on houses for a couple of decades now. It's a peel and stick rubber membrane that comes in 6" wide rolls. Should do the trick...

BTW.... All the seals in the truck are new and today I fixed my wing windows for just .40 cents each side..... What's ya think ?

No more wind / water entering through them any longer, and if I ever need change... it's right at my fingertips...

[​IMG]

4. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

thats how i fix mine! or put glue in the window and close it. boom. done. never use those things anyways. they were junk when they were new.

5. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

SO, I took an idea, and ran with it.

Now all I need is some heavy rains, or a couple hour truck washing ...

[​IMG]

The stuff has worked in every door and window I've installed over the last 15 years, so lets see if it works here....