1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cab Heater

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by catnip, Dec 3, 2009.

1. catnip

catnip Junior Member

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has found a decent 12v cab heater for their machines?

Thanks for your time.

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

nope, i searched for many a year, the biggest problem you have is that a 12volt heater, plugged in, with the fan going in it, has too much draw on your charging system, we had a skid steer, that we built a cab for that we tried to use a 12volt heater in, not enough heat, then we tried two heaters, still not enough heat, then the machine started to die, too much draw on the battery/charging system, the good news it that doing a collant heater, is pretty easy, and you well get much more heat out of it. (last year we put a 40 000btu collant circulated heater in each of our skids, with a 3 speed fan, in -30degrees celsius my guys where in tee shirts skidding snow)

3. buckwheat_la

now i well tell you a funny story, i know a guy around here, who used a generator, mounted on the roof of his machine (an old tractor) and then plugged in a 1500watt heater in his cab, it worked well, looked strange, but did the job

4. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Are you sure you don't mean a 4000 BTU heater? The average home around here only has a 75'000 BTU furnace. :confused:

BTW, what does -30 C equal in Fahrenheit? Maybe about -22* F?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

7. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Yea Crete, I think thats what I said! :dizzy::laughing:;)

j/k My guess was so far off, I HAD to edit it!

I still think that in the 12+ years I've plowed, I've never been out plowing in anything that cold. Maybe it's just this region, but it doesn't ever snow when it's that cold here.

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Here either.......we did have some single digit temps this past year in Feb that we plowed during, but extreme cold and snow usually don't mix here, and if it does its off of the lake. Usually then its blowing drifting powder that's a PIA to control anyhow.

9. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

10. buckwheat_la

look at got-h20's post of that link, now the heater we have is bigger then that, and that one is 12 500 btu's

11. buckwheat_la

i want to work where you guys work, we had heaters a lot like got-h20's, then a couple years ago we had a really bad snow storm, with a week of -35 to -40 celsius, (by the way -40 celsius = -40 fahrenheit) and it sucked @ss, big time, so we put in bigger heaters and went a little overkill, but i tell you what, i am never cold though

12. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

We've got a 20,000 BTU heater in our new holland tc40. Its made by curtis. It is the coolant heated version. I am not sure how it works as we just put it in yesterday and we've been out salting most of the day.

13. nexcorp

nexcorp Junior Member
    from midwest

I just installed said heater above, the 12,500 Maradyne in a Bobcat s185. The 05 185 had plugs already designated for hose lines, one on the backside of the thermostat housing below the thermometer (use the valve here) and one where the rubber hose from the coolant resevoir meets the brass line going into the engine (regular fitting). Hardest part of job was figuring out where the hot water was too come from. Mounted on the ledge by the back window, (much easier than a floor mount). Fan is very audible, but hey, so is the freakin engine, and its bearable, and the3 nice thing is, hooked up properly, that heater on high would force you out of the cab. Low is quieter and sufficient heat. Also has 2" hole plugs for duct runs if you feel necessary. I left them in, and even mounted the 3 way switch in one of them so the switch is right on/in the unit. Total investment was about $270 with hoses. The price at sports unlimited above is the best price I have seen. I alwo bought from "berady" on ebay and got it pretty fast w switch and hardware included. Bobcat wanted $1200 for their heater. I have plenty of heat now and saved $900 plus.

14. catnip

catnip Junior Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. Sounds like the Maradyne is the way to go.

15. buckwheat_la

i just saw that you are in canada, you can get these type of heaters and your local princess auto, take a look in there, the largest one they have is the one we use, great heater, and easy to set up

16. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

?? I thought the heater had to be mounted below the radiator hose for things to work properly?? On my Deere it's between my feet which is a pain.

17. buckwheat_la

nope, the system has enough preasure that you can mount it almost anywhere, it is best to mount it below where the top of the rad is so you can fill the system with collant, as far as why they put the heater so far down on some models,,,,,,,,heat rises:nod:

18. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

And to warm your tootsies ;)

19. buckwheat_la

and after it warms your tootsies it well rise up and warm the rest of you so...........................wear clean socks, lmao

20. buckwheat_la

DSCF0367.jpg

DSCF0366.jpg

this heater is in a case 40xt, and is mounted between the top insturment panels, no problems putting out heat, but we did add a tin reflector to get more heat toward the leg area

DSCF0367.jpg

DSCF0366.jpg