1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cab / Frame switches

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mstyles0927, May 20, 2002.

1. mstyles0927

mstyles0927 Junior Member

I have a 1980 K10, SB, 4x4 with 350 and 4 spd Manual. The bed is pretty bad (rust over the tire wells), and the cab has some bad rust in spots too. I also have a 'project' I bought some time back--a 1968 C10, SB with 350 and 3 spd Automatic (neither truck has the original engine--both were originally 6 cylinders) with a bed and cab in better shape than my daily driver--the K10.

Does anyone know if I can take the 68 cab and bed and transfer them to the 80 frame with little or no fabricating or modifications? I thought about just moving the 68 bed to my 4x4, but the 67-72 beds have the curve to the front bed sides that actually comes forward a little bit around the rear of the cab and it doesn't look like it would fit around my 80 cab. I don't have the time or tools to do much more than switch the 2..............

I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

This sounds like a fairly involved conversion: Your '68 cab won't have the required clutch pedal & linkage to match up to the 4-speed, also there will be fab work required on the 6 mounts (2 for the rad saddle, 4 for the cab) where the rubber cab cushions bolt on. Not 100% sure but the steering shaft may not bolt up directly either. Since both engines are 350's, the rad hoses should hook up OK.

This conversion CAN be done, but it will involve more than a simple switch-over and bolting up of parts.

About 10 years ago, one of my friends did something similar but going the "other way": '80 cab & front end on a '72 4x4 frame. (Deck was fabbed from scratch - no P/U box) Don't remember the excat details, but I know that the mounts had to be modified to match up the cab/frame. Since he was using an automatic with a cable operated shifter (B&M QuickSilver) clutch and transmission shift linkage wasn't an issue, and being a lifted "Godzilla" truck he had to modify the steering shaft anyway - and extend the wiring as needed.