1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cab chassis trucks have different frames

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Alaskaforby4, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Alaskaforby4

Alaskaforby4 Member
    from Alaska

I have a '02 7.3 one ton dually cab chassis. Recently I put a B&W turnover ball hitch (99-2010 all F-series trucks including 450) package on my truck and it just wouldn't fit. It was 4" too wide...I went around and around until I finally called B&W and told them my problem, they said it should fit fine...Then he said "wait is it a cab chassis" I though oh no, here we go.
    They don't even make a bolt in kit for them, its a weld in, make your own type deal. Which I ended up doing with this one...it hurt chopping up $480 worth of "bolt on" steel.

Any way my question is for those who have put plows on cab chassis trucks, is there any surprises on the front end as well? Thanks

2. fordsuvparts

fordsuvparts Senior Member

No they are the same in the front , i just did the same to a 1999 f350 cab and chassis, the salvage yard guy tired to tell me the frames are the same, i had to break out a tape measure to prove him wrong.

3. Alaskaforby4

Alaskaforby4 Member
    from Alaska

Awesome, thanks. I have run into numerous people who have told me they are the same too... Convincing them is like trying to change their religion. I wonder why Ford did this?

4. fordsuvparts

fordsuvparts Senior Member

To help standardize frames for upfitters, other manufactures do the same thing

5. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

You can get bolt on hitches for the cab and chassis though. I just did one on an 03 that we put a utility body on.

6. Alaskaforby4

Alaskaforby4 Member
    from Alaska

So chevy and dodge cab chassis are the same rear frame width?

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Once you get to 13K GVW trucks they are all 34" frames.

The front end of the ford is the same mount from 250-550