1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cab / body swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by stocky, Oct 29, 2006.

1. stocky

stocky Junior Member
    from nw ohio

i have been looking thru the 73-87 sites and and the 88 - 98 sites and there must be a complete disregard that the other exists.

any way i have acquired a 1989 C1500 305 tbi 700r4 reg cab 8 ft truck ( hit left front in a ditch on a curve) bad enough that the frame is tweaked left front. left fender and inner is wrinkled past repair and the cab is sunk a bit from the rusty mounts giving way (Thanks little sis in law )

i have in the past, built a 1976 C4000 reg cab 8 ft bed ( not a typo)

1976 frame
    1983 cab
    1976 fenders doors etc
    14 bolt 4.10 posi rear
    400 trans
    350 4 bbl
    16 leaf rear springs each side
    ( i used to haul some heavy stuff)
    not much to look to at, a "lego" truck as the kids call it

my question is, would it be possible even with a bit of fab work, to put the 1989 body on the 1976 frame?

i have seen some of the local red necks put the newer (88&up) beds on the older trucks not just all of the body.

just a thought, if it won't work at all i will part out what is good on the 89 and scrap the rest after i get the 700r 4 and the TBI in the C4000 ( the 4 bbl, TH400 and the 4.10's kills any chances of driving past a gas station)
    let me know or at least direct me to some one who may know!!

Thanks, Stocky
  2. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

It would be possible with enought cutting and welding. Would it be worth it? IMHO no. Any frame and body part of 1988 to 1998 would be a direct fit for your 1989 making the job a lot simple by comparison.
  3. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

u can do it sure. but why not find somehting else? or just use the non wrecked one? I just swaped an 82 crew cab onto my 78 std cab long bed frame. it was a lot of work but is comming out awsome. u can check it out "HERE"
    not as many pics as there should be but still its alot of work, and i'm no ware near finished even tho I took it out offroading today.