1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

C8 rebuild ideas

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by greywynd, Dec 2, 2010.

1. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys... for now just kicking around some ideas, and looking for some input.

I've got an older C8 here, A-frame and sector seem pretty good, even the cylinders are in decent shape, but the moldboard and ribs are rusting pretty good. There's hole in both, and I'm kind of kicking around what to do with it.

Here's what I'm thinking, is to take and instead of formed channels, cut some ribs out of flat stock, say 1/4-3/8" thick, that are the size and contour of the existing ribs. I'd have to weld some of these in as it sits, so that it would keep the shape of the blade right. Then when I have some of those in (say 1-2 on each side) cut the old skin off, and then tack/weld on a new skin. Now go back, cut out some of the other formed ribs and finish putting in the cut ribs. I'm thinking that where the pivots are I would put 2 ribs, say 3-4" apart, that the tube then goes from one to the other, and spreads out the forces there. When all is said and done, the formed ribs would be replaced with contoured flatstock, so there would be no more trapped spots for moisture and so on to rot things, and I'd have another decent blade for less than buying a new one.

I suspect that it would take a day or two of time to do the fabbing etc required, of course some torching and welding, and likely a drink or two (sometimes we have to sacrifice liquids in the name of progress.) I don't have a plasma, which would be great for cutting out the ribs, but may look into hiring that done on a cutting table. A new skin I can get rolled here locally, and I'd just cut a couple inches off the top and weld to the new skin for the formed lip.

Sound feasible, extreme, or just nuts?