1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

C8.5 not level

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by lehmand1, Feb 23, 2015.

1. lehmand1

lehmand1 Member

Hopefully someone can help me out.

I have a meyer c8.5 plow with 31" A-frame on EZ classic monunt that when angled dont cut cleanly on the inside edge of the plow. My a-frame isnt perfectly level, which I believe is the issue, but hate to sacrifice any more ground clearance.

My old plow was a ST7.5 with much longer a-frame, so a little out of level didnt make much difference as the angle wasnt as great. This shorter a-frame, a little difference make the a-frame change angle alot more.

By the pivot pin, the bottom of the a-frame is 3.25". By the mount it is 4.25". But that is enough to hold the near edge of the blade off the ground by 1/2". I can go to the lower mount holes, which are 1.5" lower, but with only a tad over 4" of clearance at the back of the a-frame (which doesnt increase much when raised) I already drag the bottom on curbs when pushing over them. And bottom out on occasion Pulling into and out of some steep lots. So I am not sure I want to make it even worse.

I know other places I have read indicate that the mounting pins should be ~11" off the ground. Which is my concern. Right now, mine are about 12.5" BUT that is with me adding a 3" spacer. So the plow is sitting as if it was mounted 9.5". And by all indication, thats even an inch too high.

The A-frame pivot is tight, so I have no movement there. The mount pins (which were 5/8") were wore out on the mount so I made them all 3/4". Nice and tight which was worse. SO I went back to 5/8" pins in the 3/4" holes to compensate a little.

The cutting edge is 4.5". So a little worn but far from wore out. I ordered a new cutting edge, and at 6" in height should make it almost perfect. But hate the thought of considering a 4.5" or 5" edge as needing replaced.

So here are my questions

1. Anything obviously wrong?
    2. Should this setup with EZ classic be using a longer A-frame?
    3. Is it just the nature of the beast?
    4. What would you do.

I really dont like the a-frame so close to the ground. But with where the moldboard pivots are, and a-frame riding UNDER the sector, I dont see any way to change that. Looking at some other plows of people I plow with, I see some (other brands) that the a-frame is alot higher and still level due to where it mounts to the plow at.

Here are some pics. All suggestions welcome

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

plow.jpg

IMG_20150223_102909_277.jpg

2. whitextreme

whitextreme Junior Member

Is your chain long enough? I ask because I have the same setup c8.5 with the short frame and classic mount on an f350. Mine wasn't cleaning up well while angled and I discovered the my chain was to hooked to short holding the corner up.

3. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

Looks like you have the pins attaching the a frame in the upper holes of the frame, why not the lower ones?
    The way you modified the a frame seems weak to me. Too much leverage when you hit something or stacking is going to try to bend the ears of the a frame up.

4. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

Another thought, what if you were to loosen the king pin a half a turn or so? That would let the plow tilt in relation to the a frame and sit level on the ground.

5. lehmand1

lehmand1 Member

Yep, chain is long enough. I intentionally leave plenty of slack cause alot of the lots we do have some steep up or down approaches pulling into the lot.

Yes they are in the upper holes. If I go to the lower holes, it puts the back of the a-frame too close to the ground IMO. I already catch on curbs pretty bad when trying to push snow up and over. I couldnt imagine trying to plow by making that worse. As to the modification, its sound. I have no worries there. I have hit some obsticals (curbs and manhole covers) pretty hard. And this is attached to a 11,500 # truck.

Not sure if that would help or not. I dont think the kingpin is limiting me in any way. Rather the arc'ed part of the sector under the part of the a-frame that the chain hooks to is the limiting factor.

In general, it just dont seem like a good design. I know it is an older design plow though. But looking at some of the plows of others I plow with, like blizzard, western, and a curtis, it seems the moldboard trip pins are much higher up on the plow. Which in turn raises the whole a-frame assembly. This meyer just seems to have everything mounted too close to the ground.

I did put a new cutting edge on before last storm though. Gaining the 1-1/2" that was worn off the old one. And I got a nice clean scrape now. Just hate having to replace a cutting edge at 4-1/2" every time

6. whitextreme

I always run in the lower holes I never really have any problems.

7. lehmand1

lehmand1 Member

How high off the ground is your lower set of holes?

It was different on the 03 chevy 1500 I had. On that truck with an ST 7.5 plow and longer a-frame, I always ran the lower holes too.

Infact, the way I determine what hole to run is put a jack under the a-frame with the plow off the truck. Jack it up so the a-frame is level. Then whatever the pin height is, I select the hole that is the closest. With the new cutting edge on this plow, that happens to be the top hole.

But as the edge wears, it appears the bottom hole would be a closer fit. But again, with using the top hole, I only have 4.5" of clearance from the bottom of the a-frame to the ground. The bottom hole would make that closer to only 3" of clearance. And I'd be snagging on all kinds of things. And with being at the back of the a-frame, near the hitch pins, raising the plow full up dont add much to that clearance.

8. lehmand1

lehmand1 Member

Any chance you can take a pic of the side similar to the pic I posted. Curious to see how your C8.5 looks when mounted

9. whitextreme

I certainly can when I leave work. Ill get pictures and measurements for you. Of course my a-frame is stock no lift block and my truck is stock height.

10. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Sounds like your cutting edge is wearing more on the outer ends as compared to the center (this happens when plowing with the blade at an angle). Causing the edge not to contact the pavement as well. Mine will do this and to keep it square i plow with the blade straight when i can, to try to limit this.
    The reason i'm thinking this is you said you changed your cutting edge and all was fine.

11. lehmand1

lehmand1 Member

My truck is stock height too. Without the modification to the pin height, the a-frame would have been on a pretty steep angle, and really would have cut like crap when angled

Not really. The cutting edge I took off was 4.5" in the middle of the blade. And 4.25" on each of the outer corners. Pretty even wear IMO. The reason the new edge soled the problem is it added 1.5" in height to the front of the A-frame. Thus making the A-frame sit almost perfectly level. So when angled, The cutting edge also stays level, instead of one side "climbing" up the a-frame.

12. whitextreme

Ok my pin mount is 9.5 inches high. With the blade in the lower hole I am at 5" in the rear and 4.5" in the front. I also have a brand new cutting edge. When I lift the blade the rear goes up to 5.5". With no ballast in the rear. Although my edge is fresh I never had a problem with the extremely warn edge on this or my c8 cutting clean to the outsides.

13. whitextreme

I'm not sure how to add a picture from a phone

14. lehmand1

lehmand1 Member

Your numbers seem to match pretty close to mine. I was 3.25" in the front, but with a new edge that would add 1.5" so 4-3/4" is my current front measurement.

Your lower pin hole mount being 9.5" high tells me your truck side mount is lower to the grond than mine. With mine beign 12.5" for the top hole, and 11" for the bottom hole. If I didnt add that 3" spacer like I did, with a level a-frame I would need a pin hole at 9.5" like yours. Only you have one and I do not. Thus I had to modify it and gain the 3". (I could have only added 1.5" and used the bottom hole but the piece of 3" heavy wall tube I already had laying around).

I am curious when you wear 1.5" off that cutting edge, you will be alot closer to 3" front and 5" rear, and I would think that is enough you would have issues like I was where it wont scrape evenly when angled. Unless you have a ton more slop in your plow than I do.

Either way, I hate the ~5" clearance at the back. Do you ever catch on parking curbs or anything when pushing snow up and over them? Alot of other plows I have seen have a good 10" of clearance back there cause they mount the a-frame/sector higher up on the plow itself.

15. whitextreme

When I have ballast in it is not as low. But the front of my plow lifts higher in the lower hole so I rarely get all the way in to the back of the carriage