1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

C6 warm-up in cold weather

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Crumm, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I was wondering what would warm up a C6 faster - Park or Neutral?
    It is currently -31 outside and I just fired up the old girl to head for work. I have a circulating block heater, oil pan heater, transmission pan heater and battery heaters for both batteries so I am not starting from dead cold but would like to be as kind to this old tranny as I can.
    Thanks for any replies.

2. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Would be the same park or nuetral.

3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

The fluid travels in exactly the same places when in both park and in neutral. The only difference is when in park the parking prawl is activated. That is the mechanism that keeps the vehicle from moving and soemtimes makes it hard to shift out of park when parked on a hill.

4. juggernaut

juggernaut Member

You may be thinking of Dodges. In park they do something where the fluid does not circulate as well or pump output is lowered, Im not not sure. That is why if you own a Dodge you have to put the trans in neutral rather than park after a hard run because they just get hotter in park, I know I have heard this somewhere.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Never hd a problem with a C-6 being cold they work the same as always. I let mine warm up in park and it goes into gear fine. Never had one die under me, can't say that for the new 4 speeds!
    I got an old girl too so I see what you mean! Atleast we can find guys to rebuild her in their garage for cheap. The 4 spd guys get raped for rebuilds.

6. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

The only time mine is really stiff is when it is colder than -20. It seems to warm up pretty fast but it doesn't want to engage very fast until it does. For the last week it has been above 0 and it works great. It is the original transmission and although the mileage is low I think it is still good for a transmission to last 29 years...

7. juggernaut

juggernaut Member

Oh hell, for -20 F that seems about par for the course.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Like I said in another thread:
    The only thing that likes to run in frigid temp's is a Polar Bear!

9. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Starting in neutral is easier on the pumps. Fluid is moving around in neutral better and faster than it is in park. It wont be as hard on the pumps to get into gear.

Tony

10. juggernaut

juggernaut Member

That maybe true on hills due to the parking pawl being engaged. However fluid flow is the same in Fords whether in Park or neutral.