1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

c4500/5500 4X2 / 4X4

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Snow_Rooster, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Snow_Rooster

Snow_Rooster Junior Member

Anyone using c4500/5500 4x2 / 4x4 for daily snow duties? Looking for some feedback.

Thanks!

2. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

I don't personally, but there's a local guy who is using a 4500 4wd.. Seems to be moving a lot of snow. Never spoke to him about the rig, but it's impressive to look at and watch.

3. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Nope, but is that truck in your avatar yours? If so PLEASE post pic's Thats awesome!!!

4. Snow_Rooster

Snow_Rooster Junior Member

CXT Pictures Posted in Picture Forum

Not my truck, unfortunately:( . Grabbed the pictures at a show. Put a few shots up on the picture forum.

5. Patrick34

Patrick34 Senior Member

C5500 4x4

Yes, I do plow with a C5500 4x4 on our regular route. Awesome truck, it does everything. C5500 4x4, 9.5 ft Western MVP, cental hydros and tailgate spreader. It plows anything, and we spread 20-25 tons of salt per night with it. Expensive, but very productive. The 4x4 is nice, but is it really worth the $5k, not sure. I am keeping this truck forever, so I did not mind spending the extra $5k for the 4x4.

It is actually very easy to plow with. The turning radious is fantastic. Overall, extremely happy with this truck, great investment.

6. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I used to have an 03 4500 before they had the 4x4 models. Wasn't bad at all in the snow, never had a problem with it as long as there was weight in the back. I never did plow with it though, so I guess the 5 grand for 4WD is worth it. Do you tend to leave it in 2WD while plowing most of the time? Come to think of it,that was a fantastic truck with the Duramax 6600.

7. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Always good to have 4x4 in a jam.

8. Patrick34

Patrick34 Senior Member

4x4

Ya, I would say 75% of the time only 2 wheel drive. In deeper snow, we use the 4x4. The other really nice thing is many of our buildings we push have downhill loading docks. Getting back up the loading dock hill it is nice to have the 4x4.