1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

c1500 breaks/wheel over heating

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ccw, Aug 20, 2001.

1. ccw

ccw Junior Member

OK, I've got a 91 c1500 and afew months ago the right front break started to drag, or at least thats what it felt like. I redid the brakes with all new parts (did both sides). I still had problems with the right front, so i thought it might be bearings going causing things to heat up engaging the breaks, redid them. That seemed to do it, I even took two trips of over 1000 miles each. Last week it started doing the same thing. I pulled it apart again and could not find anything wrong, relubed and all, it is still doing it. Im a old school shade tree type, anyone have any ideas where to look next?
    Thanks for any ideas.
  2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Clean the slide bushings real well, they can get pitted and cause the caliper to hangup in which case they should be replaced. A touch of high temp grease is all they need.

Sometimes the brake hose starts to deteriorate on the inside causing little particles to act as one-way valves preventing the caliper from fully releasing.

Good luck.
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

When you redid the brakes,did you replace the calipers?I have seen the brake hose restrict fluid flow,and hold calipers on,but its very rare.
  4. ccw

ccw Junior Member

calipers, slide bushings, you name it, (I even used new rotors as its easier to buy new ones than have the old ones turned) all new, the hose is something I didnt think of, I will try that next, it could be that they were going and it just took time for the crud to build up again. Ive never heard of it but it sounds plausable.
    Thanks, I will let you know, additional suggestions welcome,
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2001