1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

C15 Cat on road engine

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Green Grass, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

Don't know if anyone knows anything about these engines. Have one in a Kenworth w900L the truck will loose prime after it sits for a couple days. Do not see any sign of fuel leaks. The truck runs great and has all the power it should. Truck does not smoke any more then it ever has. If any one knows anything about these I would like some help. Thank you
    :help:

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

bad seal in the injector pump assy would be my guess if no leakage is present at the filter.

3. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

If you can find out abouut the fuel filter you have on there. Some of them have a 1 way ck valve to hold fuel up there.

4. Green Grass

They are cat filters we replaced the filters and it did not change anything.

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

poor seal at the fuel filter

6. Green Grass

That was why we replaced them in the first place. The center screw for the filters is tight and so are the filters

7. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Go over to the Heavy Duty truck forum at www.thedieselgarage.com and ask there. Lots of knowledge on Cats lurking there...

8. eclmech

eclmech Junior Member

Not sure if the C-15 has a priming pump on it but I have had to replace several on various CAT motors. They never seem to leak externally, only let air in.

Good luck with it.

9. Green Grass

it does have a priming pump that is how we prime it after it sits a couple days.

10. eclmech

eclmech Junior Member

Well like I said I replaced several on all models. Usually begins as a hard start and slowly progresses to a no start or poor performance. Seen it happen at all ages, milage, hours. Almost never any external signs.

good luck

11. Green Grass

truck is a 99 with almost 900,000 miles on it and never had any problems

12. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

Also check all or an rubber lines for cracks have seen that a time or two.

13. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

sounds like the check valve in the filter head is bad to me, change it and see what happens, probly not sucking air from filters or hoses because you say it still runs good, if it was sucking air you would notice lack of power and white smoke.