1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jpunlimited, Jan 14, 2005.

1. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

this would be a pictrure of the town plow guys clearing the side walk and beating up on the landscaping at the place I work and plow and will be on the hook for in the spring. that pile of dark dirt and mulch is going to leave a mark. you gotta love digital cams.

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

Keep that picture on file, it should protect you from liability.
  3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I wonder if anyone will be there with a camera when you screw up? :cool:

I think there will always be at least a small amount of landscaping damage come spring time, it's pretty well unavoidable if you are trying to plow right to the edge--especially when the property isn't that big and the space needs to be maximized.

Three minutes with a rake should take care of that.

Now it's something else if he was bulldozing 10 feet of sod off the lawn!!!
  4. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

I could only hope that, "If" I made a mistake like that, and someone caught me on digital camera, that they would be kind enough and professional enough to point out my mistake to me, so I can correct my mistake and learn from it.
  5. derekbroerse

There is also a difference between 'telling/showing' someone and 'freaking out/threatening' someone!!! :p

I think it should probably be noted here that what the guy has done is gone too far into the 'piling spot' and scalped a bit of mulch off the top. I'd bet that is a pile of snow with a light sprinkling of mulch over is, not a giant pile of mulch the way it looks. Once the snow melts that will probably amount to a teeny tiny little pile....

Sometimes it is just in our best interests to fix things like that automatically in the spring. I'm no landscaper but I'm sure it isn't a big deal.

And don't claim you never ever make a mess like that--sometimes its unavoidable, other times it's a moment's loss of attention or from lack of sleep.

I'll give an example--one driveway I do is actually narrower than my blade so it always takes a few inches of grass off either side. I mentioned it to the guy (HE came to me looking for the job to be done) and he couldn't care less, it's just grass (and he lives on a farm).

Another example just happened to me last snowfall--it came on very late in the morning so we had no choice but to plow during the day. The town plows hadn't even been in this neighbourhood yet (kind of a ritzy area of town). The house I do is a horse-shoe right on a curve that heads down a large hill... as a result the road is banked very steeply to the side. Now as I said, there was no town plow or salter yet, and the snow was approximately 5-6" deep but had tracks run thru it, packing snow down onto the freezing rain layer below that still hadn't been taken care of properly. I was turning wide to head back in the driveway and the front end slipped sideways mid-turn and caught the grass on the shoulder of the road. Naturally I stopped immediately and tried to back out, but with the shape of the road being what it was, the rear slid over sideways and joined the front on the shoulder.

Now you guys have no idea just how slick this was. The truck was turning all six tires and going nowhere. I called my dad to come with my other truck and a chain rather than dig myself a hole to China trying to get out.

Meanwhile, the guy (across from my customer) comes flying out the front door yelling and screaming about his $2000 new lawn (explains why the tires went straight down, freshly tilled in the summer) and how I would be paying for it to be fixed (yeah, I get stuck for a good time :rolleyes: ). We are talking about tire marks, one tire width off the asphalt!! (Also technically not his property). I told him I would take care of it and that shut him up, mostly, he bitched his way back into the house.

My dad and my friend showed up with my S15 and his Dakota--both 4wd. To illustrate the surface of the road--the S15 pulled up behind the truck and tried to stop, but the front wheels just slid--I just cringed because I figured he was going to join me on the edge of the grass, but the tires gripped at the last second and swung back onto the road. One problem avoided.

The Dakota was already in 4wd when he came into the area (also has four brand-new BFG A/T's). He stopped no problem beside me, I went between the trucks instructing him thru the drivers window. All was good until he let off the brake to pull forward. The tires began to spin on the spot (at idle) and the truck made a slide towards me and my truck. Well my first move was to grab the box of his truck to try and keep it from pinching me. Amazingly enough I was able to stop it, even though it had moved about two feet towards me. He held the brakes, and my dad joined me. We braced our feet against my tire and were actually able to slide the Dakota back up the slope--its not everyday two people can move a 4000lb truck up a hill!

Anyways we hitched the chain and while the Dakota couldn't really do much, it did keep enough tension on the chain to allow my truck to drive out without slipping more.

Had a peak at the damage once the truck was out--can't believe the truck was hung up on such a small amount of mud and ice. Now I told him I would fix it and I will, though with his attitude he really doesn't deserve it, especially since it isn't technically his property. But I will do it because I want to maintain a good rating in that area because I want to get more work there next year.

My point to all that: It only takes a second to make a mess. Be good and fix it if it is a)really bad b)they ask you to c)it's someone who cares. Minor marks and such usually fix themselves when the frost heaves the ground a bit and grass is tougher than you think. I hope that makes sense!! :p
  6. jpunlimited

I have no intention of making a big deal of this. this just goes into the CYA file. I just took over the plowing for this site and If I brake it I fix it. but I will not fix what the town does. what you can't see is that I will be resetting the mail box on the right because all the dirt is gone from the hill that was holding it. this is the second hit to this frontage I just happened to see it this time.
  7. derekbroerse

Sorry, but I am still looking for the mailbox in the picture!! Or is that the point?
  8. jpunlimited

the other side

no it is out of frame on the right. It was one of those things that I thought I may have caused a few weeks ago after the first storm. but the old storm had melted and I did not plow this snow storm because it was less than 3 so I knew who moved the dirt this time.
    I know I have taken some divits in my time. but you have to have a bucket to cause the divits here because there is a six inch curb under there and another bush (or was). oh by the way I have 2 gravel drives and I will be spending some time behind the wheel barrel and rake.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  9. derekbroerse

That explains why I can't see it!! :D

That also explains why it is more of a sore-spot than just a little mulch.

I think the funniest was when a customer (same horseshoe driveway mentioned above) decided to move his car so I could do a better job, and he backed over his own mailbox right in front of me!!!! You have no idea how hard it was not to laugh at him when, since he didn't notice, he parked his car again and then asked if I had hit it!! :p I took him for a walk down the driveway and showed him his own tire marks running right over it!!!!

Then I laughed and told him how glad I was he did it and not me! Now everytime I see him he bitches about how it was installed there.... ;)
  10. jpunlimited

man it is not easy.

In the inerest of full disclosure:I am the property manager here and get paid separate to plow this and other sites.so I am on the hook for it all. this picture explained alot as to what happen out there this year and prior.
    How did he not know he hit his mail box.. or maybe did not want to explain that to the wife. good luck!
  11. derekbroerse

It was actually a newspaper box, very light plastic and those sheet-metalish poles. Didn't make much of a noise and the only damage to the car was a scuff in the plastic bumper where the pole rubbed. I stood it back up for him and straightened the pole the best I could--really couldn't tell it was bent right over three minutes before!

Couldn't argue with the tire tracks though!!! lol