1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

C plow or Western Contractor Grade 8' expandable to 10'???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cole22, Dec 20, 2010.

1. cole22

cole22 Senior Member

Looking at buying a new plow for the new truck I think a Hiniker C plow would be a lot of help but at the same time with of the plow would be a lot of help to. How do people that have the Western 8 expandable to 10 like them? Advice or recommendations would be a great help!
  2. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

man, those are two totally different animals. Cant see gettin a C plow, unless you do alot of backdragging, like residentials or loading docks.
  3. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I can't see getting a C plow period. With back drag edges and V plows today, they've become almost completely irrelevant.

OP, depends on what type of work you are doing. Are you back dragging a lot?
  4. needmoresnow

needmoresnow Member

I looked at the western wideout before buying a v plow and the blizzard power plow is the same thing and less $$
  5. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I also looked into the western wideout. I had a blizzard power plow for years and swore by it. I just bought a hiniker v plow for the reasons of weight and price. The western weighs in around 960# and unless you got a heavy truck it is a lot of weight on the front end in my opinion.I had my blizzard on a 3500 hd Chevy dump and it put that front end down a bunch. That and price is the only cons I have on those plows. I also considered the speedwing by blizzard but I didn't like the idea of not being able to control the wings. I love my hiniker v so far. Scraps down good, awesome trip edge and is a breeze to hook up and take off.
  6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Every blizzard 8100 power plow I priced out was more then the fisher xls or western wideout. They say the blizzards are built stronger so there is the increase price. It is a great built plow IMO and I have never used one, Just looking at the construction I can tell. I went with the fisher due to the multiplex system being able to switch with the xls and exv and the trip edge option. Get the expandable. Good Luck.
  7. joe2113

joe2113 Junior Member
    from Midwest

I have a Hiniker C on one of my trucks, great plow, so far zero problems. It is a lifesaver at an account I plow that is full of loading docks and is open 24/7. It makes back dragging an efficient way to plow snow. If you are back dragging a lot you'll love it! But I've seen a few videos of the Western Wideout... and that's looks like a pretty sweet blade!!
  8. pinepointe

pinepointe Senior Member

just sitin here watin on our 3' plus storm to roll in. I was reading all the post on this thread and cannot beleve any one did not mention the scoop. I love my scoop traded my hiniker v in for it. the design is just the best, u get the abality to move massive amounts of snow and u can still plow right through drifts in a sub. Plus they are so simple in the design not a bunch of wires and hydos to bother with
  9. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Post some pictures up. Again, while I think it is an interesting design, I can't believe it would be more efficient than a V blade or Power Plow.
  10. cole22

cole22 Senior Member

Yeah that's a good option too, I guess it just went over my head. So I guess if i want to be able to go to 10' I'll make extensions that I can bolt on or something in the fab shop!

Or maybe add wings? has anyone done that to there scoop plow? Thanks everyone lets keep the advice coming. I like the lest moving parts!:mechanic:
  11. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

The c-plow and expandable plows have different applications. I run a c-plow for the residential run and it is perfect. The clip on box ends are also nice. I run expandables for commercial. Great for parking lot work. So it really depends on what the truck will be mostly doing.
  12. mikegooseman

mikegooseman Senior Member

I have the western wideout on my 2011 chevy duramax 3500 hd...... lets just say I would not trade it for anything ! simply put its 3 plows in one, and you save huge time when your in scoop mode at 9 feet over a V-blade....... no second pass needed . Over the years i have used straight and V blades, and by far the wideout from western is an ass kicker.... As far as fisher, not to many people like the location of the pump and that jack stand is a joke....imo good luck and happy holidays. :drinkup:
  13. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have a fisher XLS and the position of the plow pump if more favorable then the Wideout IMO. The Wideout pump covers the whole middle of the grill/radiator as the XLS pump is positioned sideways and on one side of the mount allowing more air flow to the truck. Now I will have to give it to you on the jack stand. I wish they had the same setup as westerns, but the MM2 is easy to use and takes me a minute to get it on.