1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

C plow on 2500 HD

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by milkie62, Sep 25, 2013.

1. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

Is the 8 foot C plow too heavy for a 2500HD Chevy with only 300 lbs of ballast ? I say that because I keep 2 small snowblowers in the truck bed and nothing else.

2. Leland Lawn

Leland Lawn Member

I plow with a 9' C plow, and I'd say that 300lbs is a little bit of a light load in the rear. I carry around 1000lbs of gravel as ballast and I sit level. That plow weighs over 800lbs, so you'll probably loose some traction in the rear.

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Ballast is weight BEHIND your rear axle. There's no way you're putting a thousand pounds of gravel behind your rear axle. You've got weight, but not ballast.

4. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I assume this is not a real question:dizzy:

5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Don't know, but a 8' c-plow can go on a 2500, 300# ballast though... throw in a few pails of sand as close to tailgate as you can along with your snowblowers & strap it all down.

6. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I am worried since when I drop off the snowblowers for my guys I have no weight in the back.And then I would hate to have to have some weight located so I can pick it up.May just have to go with a std 8 foot trip plow and forget about all the newer ones.Up till now I have only had experience with mostly 8 foot western pro plows.

7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I know one guy use his bed for blowers/stuff. So he mount his ballast under the truck where his spare tire is with tractor weights spare tire is in the bed

8. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

That's not a bad idea at all! But I do wonder just how much weight you can add. I'm guessing not much.

9. Antlerart06

He has about 5 100lb tractor weights under it He wielded a bar between the frame and lift weights up bolt them in place

I don't run a ballast I have Steel flatbeds on my trucks

10. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I dont use snowblowers so.... but I do got 8 5gal buckets full of all my diff deicing products(60-80#ea) as well as I got 2 aluminum billets/blocks, one for each side, they fit perfect across box & weigh about 75# each. One cheap way is pour a few bags of readymix concrete into a few containers you can strap down & then you got ballast that will last for $20.

11. Antlerart06

12. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

13. Antlerart06

14. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

Hope you are referring to a Deroit Locker since that is the only true locker.

15. Antlerart06

yep, I didn't install it was in it when I bought the truck
    Truck had a dump on it First owner swap that out put a heavy flat bed. Has
    F450 springs in the rear rides like lumber wagon when it is empty

16. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

A Detroit is the cats a$$ in mud and snow.They suck on ice though.Gotta decide quick what I am getting .Will have to compare the weight of my old 8.5 foot fisher.Then compare the fisher V plow to the weight of the C plow.Would like to have a plow with something different instead of just a straight plow.Just need to come up with an idea for some weight behind the wheels.

17. Antlerart06

How much ballast you need ?
    You could build you a pipe bumper and fill it up with concrete
    Use 2 6'' pipe or make fit in the hitch

I know I wont plow with a straight plow on a truck any more after running my 9.6 MVP since 09.

Yes ice isn't fun with the locker But if Im on a hill backing up sure works then on ice
    I wish the locker would work like my tractor When you have the tractor in all 4 wheels lock when you turn it unlock till you straighten up then locks back in

18. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

After finally finding my Fisher and western brochures,the C-plow is in the same weight category.I was worried that the C-plow was alot heavier.

19. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

This is the same location I've got planned for my weight and dual battery setup.

20. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member