1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

C-6 Transmission

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by rebel69, Dec 8, 2006.

1. rebel69

rebel69 Junior Member
    from ohio

I have a 1990 C6 tranny from a 2 wheel drive Ford P/U I would like to use it in my 1989 Ford Bronco (full size) which also has a C6 tranny, but I noticed the shafts are different lengths is it possible to swap shafts and if so how much of a job is it?:confused:
  2. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

I don't see why not. The cores are really the same. The shafts should change without issue. My advice to you is to rebuild it not if you gonna swap the shafts etc....You are already paying to have it down etc...why not just rebuild it.
  3. rebel69

rebel69 Junior Member
    from ohio

C6 Tranny

Well I already pulled it out of the truck myself, I purchased the 2 wd to just swap, but just don't know what I am getting into by swapping the shafts ie do I have to pull the whole tranny apart to do this or is there a way to just change out the shafts without breaking the whole thing down?
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

it's fairly cheap to have a C-6 rebuilt. I had mine done for $800 with R&R and towing. Go talk to a few tranny shops. Cash and carry jobs are fairly cheap, they should know what can be done.Or have books that have the info.

Keep in mind you need to flush your tranny cooling system and install a new / rebuilt torque converter. If your old tranny died the "Stuff" that it chewed up is now in the cooling circuit and converter. You would then revisit the same job in a little while.
  5. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

unless the bronco is a 2wd its not gonna work unless you swap tail shafts too, one mounts to the transfer case, the 2wd wont be able to mount

tried it already
  6. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

You will need to disassemble the trans to r/r the output shaft. This does require some special tools, and knowledge. While it is apart it would be foolish not to rebuild it since it is all apart.
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

There is a million guys that can rebuild the C-6 around. Like I said cash and carry jobs are fairly cheap. You might even be farther ahead to rebuild the original tranny and sell the donor tranns. There can be differences in some parts from year to year. I had a transfer case that was like brand new. It was 3/4 inch longer then the one I had with the same model number. I had to have the main drive shaft shortened. This was on a Bronco II, they were built with a mix of FoMoCo parts, German and Japanese. They came from the factory pre-rusted too.