1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bye Bye Fisher! Thank You & Good Day Blizzard!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by intlco, Nov 25, 2004.

1. intlco

intlco Senior Member

After two months of listening to all of the Fisher dealers feeding me a line of crap about why their plows are so much for nothing, and see two reps do nothing to help out the plowers in Montana from over pricing plows. I say farewell to Fisher and Western plows after 15 years.

I found a guy selling Blizzards, and called him and he was really great to deal with. I told him the situation, and he made all arragement to help me out.
    He even gave me his cell # and is going to make arragements on Thanksgiving day to stay in town for me on the holiday weekend. He is even willing to meet me at 5am and load my truck with these blades. And is fully understanding if I have any delays due to mountain passes being snow packed.

With customer service like this, Blizzard will be selling my company all future blades every year.

I hope these two Fisher & Western reps have learn their lesson. Bad dealers that overcharge and don't provide good service and parts will loose you a customer for life. It's always harder to get someone back after they leave.

Blizzard is doing a great job to satisfy the customer. Keep up the good work.
  2. maurader

maurader Member

I'm glad to hear that you have finally decided which way to go concerning the plows. You have a lot more patience than I would have under the circumstances. Two months is a long time to deal with BS. The prices they wanted to charge you for the Fisher and Western were crazy. I believe in the value of dealer support but if you buy some spare parts you will be all set. Plows today are very reliable as you already know. I'd take a drive any day to save thousands.
    Good luck and post some pictures of your new bounty!
  3. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

So Intlco, where did you end up purchasing your blizzard from? Just curious if I decide to ever swing away from Boss. Good luck and I will be talking to you about how the Blizzard is holding up this spring sometime. They have always intriged me with their design.
  4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Yes time will tell the wisdom of the switch one way or the other.
  5. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I was looking at the Blizzard Plows last year and was told they all sold out till the spring. If I was to buy one how would i know he had parts if he can't even keep plows in stock. My western dealer is open 24 hours when it snows with mechanics to repair any thing that breaks. Saying a Western Plows are crap make no sense. If you want to say the dealer gave you crappy service then that different story.
  6. Tarkus

Very good point likewise there is a Fisher dealer near here that is open 24/7 when it snows and they stock all Fisher parts and most hydraulic parts for Western (same parent company) Even if you have the best plow made, it is not worth much if you need a $15 part that no one has.
  7. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

It is too bad you have such problems with your Fisher dealers. WE have the very best here and there prices are no more expensive than other manufacturers. Their service is available most anytime when we need it but to be honest we have had numerous plows for 14 years and other than having a few spare parts at our shop for quuick repairs we haven't had many major breakdowns that have finished us for the night ot storm. We do have our mechanic in our shop go over all the trucks and equpment after each storm for preventative stuff but maybe we have just had extremely good luck. We plow an average of 20-23 times a year as well so our plows do get well used in the run of a year. I just hate hearing other fellow plowers have hard times like that when we are out trying to get places cleared up while the people we need to help us (aka dealers) are home in bed asleep.

Best of luck to all of you this year....heads down plow down ......$$$$$$$$ up
  8. Tarkus

I have had good luck with this Fisher dealers here too. The "problem" is I rarely have to go to it anyway. I have only seen one Bliizzard plow locally last year, Boss is fairly popular here and so is Fisher and Western.
  9. intlco

intlco Senior Member

It just happens to be that out here in MT and WY, we just don't get such good service. If you can't fix it yourself out west, you better have some good friends.
    I've got friends that can fix any part or make any part I need, so it's not a problem here. Also Montana's are customed to stocking an inventory of parts, tires, batteries, anything you may need, cause break downs on our county gravel roads are common. And most guys will also lend a hand in the rural area.

And even if you did go to the dealer when their open, most dealers are 3 hours from me cause we have nothin' in my rural town except a post office and coal mine. And when you get to the dealer, plan on waiting a long time, and they charge $95-100 an hour for service.
    Just got back my truck that the 4x4 broke, they charged me min. $100 hr to tell me a wire shorted out in the fusebox. What a waste of 100, just to fix a wire at GMC.
  10. Tarkus

The other day I stopped in a Fisher dealer to get a brush kit and thrust washer kit of a few plows I have "if" I have electric motor problems this winter and need to do a quick repair (all is well during the moment). They did not stock it but they did stock the complete motors which they would rather sell instead. They are ordering me the parts. I have always done my own repairs to control costs and for consistancy of repair jobs too. When I cannot repair them anymore it will be time for me to quite.
  11. intlco

intlco Senior Member

I'm gonna be leaving today and going to get it from a guy in Missoula. Figure it gonna be long ride up from decker. I hope the weather gets better holds out, cause I heard it was snowin on the mtn passes.

From what I've heard from other MT Plows, these Blizzards are holding up good, and their saving a lot time. I know that my Fisher V's had so many breakdowns the past years, due to wires, and cheap fuse designs and seloids, that I won't miss these problems.
    Most of these other guys don't see the -40 weather we get in Jan or Feb that really takes it's toll on equipment.

Once I get em and get it mounted up, I post photos. I'm gonna do my own install cause it's not possible to drive back with it on.
  12. George C

George C Senior Member

Your problems lay with the "person" and not the plow. I hope you can see that..
    In my area, Fisher rules the marketshare because of a combination of good price, good service and great parts availbility.
  13. intlco

intlco Senior Member

Back in Cleveland ten years ago, Fisher was great and we got service and parts. We continued to purchase their plows the past 10 years here, but never got service, and we paid 3 times the cost for everything.

The problem is the Fisher Regional Reps have given the entire area from Denver to Montana to one dealer. And he sees that he can charge any price, because he is the only person in the tri-state area with Fisher.

Well, Fishers losses is Blizzards Gain. In this area, Fisher is lossing all of it's business to Boss or Blizzard for the same reason.
    The Fisher dealer said he sold 3 plow all year, and the Boss dealer owner told me he sold 110 boss blades, and he sold out totally out on Blizzard. That tells you something.
  14. Tarkus

Words of wisdom. In Montana, blizzard parts could be a nightmare too. It would be wise to try one of two of them before you you change everything. (test the water before you jump into it)
  15. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

bye bye Fisher

OleTower Here--I Dono? I Don*t put much in Advertising HYPE--as every Product We SEE & hear about is Number #ONE!--as MOST is JUNK--I usually GO w/ initial Price--Longivity & Service--as the Best Equipment that Needs an Inexspensive Part that You can*t Get? Is Worthless!! in my Opinion--& this $75 to $100 dollar an Hour Labor--Is B/S!--I live in Central MAINE!--FISHER Country--& I have Had & used Fishers all my LIFE & I*M in my Mid 70s--Plowing SNOW--HO HO NO problem!--until last Winter when I used a Freinds Truck w/ a BLIZZARD--I did My Customers & HIS--in 1/2 the TIME it Usually Took ME just to DO MINE--& the SNOW was Deeper & WET--that SOLD ME on the BLIZZARD!--I have Used E*M ALL--& their ALL Good PLOWS!--I*M Not disputiing that!--NOPE NO WAY! all I*M saying is the BLIZZARD is a lot BETTER!--to ME its the BEST I have ever Used!--its Easy to hook UP it Plows Great--as to ME it Seems to Roll the SNOW out of the WAY! instead of Pushing IT?--& it Does a Faster & cleaner JOB than all the Other Makes!--I Dono? about the Blizzard holding UP for many yrs?-- Rust? broken Welds?--Dono? as Time will TELL?--I may Be Wrong? but I SOLD my Fisher & Now I have a BLIZZARD--the comming WINTER? I*LL Know? if the Blizzard does what I exspect It to DO?--Save ME--MONEY?--in TIME & SERVICE?--as Next SPRING! I*LL Know! if? It works GOOD I*LL tell YOU & in It DON*T? I*LL tell You that Also!--OleTower--
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Fisher, Western, Blizzard all the money goes to Douglas Dynamics.
    They don't care which one you buy, they could paint then all the same color an call them Fishernard
  17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

someone must be board to dig up a 3yr old post.I Dono?..

hey,intlco how did the plows hold up?