1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bye Bye Blizzard???

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by basher, May 23, 2007.

1. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The grapevine says that Douglas will incorporate Blizzard's technology into the Western/Fisher line and do away with the Blizzard name by spring of 2008.
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

That's going to make a few cry:cry:
  3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Well that's progress, I suppose. Now if only Meyers would be phased out!
  4. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

What part of the "vineyard" did you hear this in?
  5. salopez

salopez Senior Member

it was my understanding that dd was keeping blizzard around. just incorporating some DD parts to lower costs...possibly upgrade the product(lights).
  6. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Well If I have till 08 I guess I need to buy a couple and just sit on them for the future!!! I have an idea, maybe DD could get rid of western! I mean after the tornado disaster who really wants to try a new plow from them!!!! It's a good thing that they just had to paint a blizzard red!!! Their R&D team needs to sharpen their pencil before moving onto something new!!! I guess we'll see what happens!!!!
  7. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Not Happening anytime soon

In the buyout contract it stated they had to keep the Blizzard name for 10 years.
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Over by the Petite Syrahs, they're a little light and fruity to always be accurate;)

There's the answer from someone with access to the contract,Solid legal documentation trumps the rumor mill any day.

Could it be they agreed to support the existing Blizzard line for at least ten years? I have to wonder why DD would agree to compete with themselves..:confused: They have incorporated the Blizzard tech into the Western and Fisher model lines. I understand they've closed the Blizzard offices and manufacturing facility. So if they do keep the Blizzard name I doubt it would be more then a White Western
    Last edited: May 24, 2007
  9. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

They have to keep the name, doesn't mean they have to use it. They can slap a Blizzard sticker somewhere if it did.
  10. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

I'd say they'd still use it for a tax purpose even then they'll have to always keep a stock of repair parts for the existing plows already out there.
  11. MBB

MBB Senior Member

They have 2 new blizzards sitting on the lot at the western plant down the street. Best as i can tell construction looks a lot like my 2002 except they have the new lights on them I did not look real close to see if the power pack was mounted or not maybe tonight or tommorow I will slow down for a better look see.
    Western plant 1.5 blocks away got to drive 10 miles for parts from any of 3 dealers who always have to order them, any of the 3 brands.
  12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Well, the first part is correct. The new plows are called the Western Wideout and the Fisher XLS. This was news a couple months ago, not anymore. As for the rest, I guess we'll see, but personally I doubt it.
  13. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

Hey brother, why bash Meyer? Granted they're no Fisher, but they have a place amongst the homeowner, and those who don't plow for a living. The one on my 69 Chevy has been pounded since 1970, and only required springs and hoses to be replaced, AND still works fine. Stay safe!
  14. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

BYE BYE any Product that Really GOOD

I DONO? but as an Ole Guy I have seen a lot of Good Stuff? --Come & GO!--You can call It Progress? -- I live in MAINE-FISHER Country--yrs AGO Fisher was the BEST--now I don*t think SO??--I*M NO Engineer--but in looking at the Blizzard when It first came OUT!--& as a Retired Heavy Equipment Operator--upon looking the Blizzard over!-HELL its Dozer Blade?--One very Rugged UNIT!--& my thoughts??--Allthe other Plow manufactures are in Trouble?--as I Dono? Who Designed the Blizzard?-but-its the Best Plow I have ever Seen! to DATE! I have Chatted w/ Fisher at their Plant in Rockland,Maine in referance too? their Minute Mount?--Yeh right??--three Men W/ Sledge Hammers & Crow Bars? & a Jack--to Install ONE!--Minute Mount My BUTT!--OleTower--
  15. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I can hook all three of our Minute Mounts to each of their respective trucks in 45 seconds per plow using only my arms, so if you are having to go through all that trouble, you are not doing something right.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  16. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Bye Bye Blizzard?

I just Bought a Blizzard OFF a Freind that Traded Trucks--Hes Not plowing any more!-I have a F-350 Ford & He had a DODGE--I have written Blizzard & Western in referance to obtaining? the Correct frame Mounts to Mount the Blizzard on My FORD!-- & NOTHING?--No Replies to DATE??--any ONE! have Suggestions? --I*M Glad its NOT Snowing!-- as ALL I need? is the Correct Frame mount Pieces? & I*M in Fisher Country-MAINE-any HELP Appricated!! --OleTower--
  17. truckie36

truckie36 Member

18. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

well gordyo--I*M not Alone!--as I live in Central MAINE & its FISHER country--& I have used Fishers for many yrs--I know a lot of Fisher Minute mount Owners that Don*t like Fishers Minute Mount!-- I now have a BLIZZARD & in Compairision the Blizzard mount is a Snap --as it almost mounts ITSELF!--I was SOLD on the Blizzard when I Plowed w/ a Freinds Blizzard--as I Did My Customers & HIS in 1/2 the TIME it usually Took to Do just Mine & the SNOW was Deeper! & WET!--My Minute Mount is Now ON some One Elses Truck--I*M Not saying Fisher in NOT a Good PLOW--I*M just saying BLIZZARD is a Better ONE!--my Opinion--OleTower--
  19. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Facts on Blizzard folding...not happening

This is from my Blizzard Dealer....It makes total sense!

Here is the story (as I know it) from Blizzard. First off, I believe them, as they are not just the child of the parent, that will be kicked out soon. Douglas Dynamics (Fisher and Western) bought Blizzard for the technology, patents and engineers on the winged products. I have been told that next year Western and Fisher will have the 810 plow in their colors too. Western is showing a plow called the "Wide Out" on their website, which is a lighter duty 810, but design-wise, a little different too (better / worse - I have no idea). They don't have specs on their site to compare, but essentially - the exact same thing. I guarantee you will see designs end up all the same in a few years, but they have reserved a few key things for the Blizzard name. 1 is the Speedwing - For the next number of years, it will be Blizzard only. 2 is the taper top edge of Blizzard straight plows. Design-wise they had announce that the straight blades were going to be the same as Western, and the Engineers said no. The taper top in the center is much better for airflow into the grill and a signature of Blizzard, so they will keep it like it is. The pumps / motors / controls / wiring I guarantee will change to something closer to the Western and Fisher (Production will be cheaper, and the 08 Fords are changing their trucks wiring designs, so changes will have to be made anyway to all brands - and the will not design and build 3 different harnesses, they will make 1). The undercarriages will be changing to a design that keeps the lightbar with the plow. This is an area where I see many changes over the next few years with the Blizzard line.

Bottom line - There are many changes coming down the line for all 3 manufacturers and I feel they will all end up very similar asthetically and mechanically. For some time to come, the straights and the Speedwings will be unique to Blizzard and thats where they will push their business. The 810 is still our most popular plow and I am sure it will continue to be. The only downside coming is that the new undercarriages starting next year will be different - meaning that if you bought a new plow next year, the plows you have will not fit on both trucks, it will only fit the truck with the new U/C and vice-a-versa. The only way Douglas Dynamics would folds is if they were bought out by another company. They have been in it too long to have the likes of buying a smaller company like Blizzard hurt their business in my opinion, but I have seen stranger things.
  20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure about the rest, but the Wideout and the XLS are the Western and Fisher versions of the 810--this year. I won't go into it more than that, but that part is old news. It isn't lighter duty, because it weighs more than the 810 thanks to the chain lift.