1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

By the hour or the job?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by FurFishGame, Sep 29, 2013.

1. FurFishGame

FurFishGame Member

I've been doing snow removal for a couple years, both shoveling and plowing, so i kinda know whats going on, Im trying to start a plowing business this winter, with just a truck and a shovel, I'm going to just do residential and small commercial spots (like a had a espresso stand ask me about prices and all that) For residential I was charging $30/ hour, 20 of that for my self, 10 to cover the truck. expenses. (I kinda expect my take home to be lower than that after I kinda figure out the game) For residential i will charge by the hour, 1 hour minimum, weather I'm shoveling or plowing. for the espresso stand, i was wondering if i should charge a set rate every time i come out? Im expecting 1 1/2 hours per time i go out. should I just charge 45 dollars a time or do it hourly to save my butt if it ends up taking longer or unexpected problems arise?

Im plowing with a chevy 3/4 ton. pretty standard set up, 7 1/2 foot blade. nothing fancy. the stand is the only building on the lot.
    long post, sorry bout that.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How big are these driveway first? What does an scribe snow look like there? Most driveways are per push or season.

3. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

have a price for 1 to 4 4 to 8 and after that charge 8 plus 1 dollar per inch over 8 if its a blizzard its game on do loose your butt either just be fair to your customers and they will be fair with you

4. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Never by the hour unless you are a sub. By the job, per push or per storm or seasonal. And you might want to triple your pricing and use that to figure your pricing. I pay those prices for someone to drive my trucks.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Remember he's way up north,they won't cry like cub fans up there if 2 inches of snow is on the ground.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I would think per push (job) would be the best way to go and probably what is standard up there.

And lol to the guys that are thinking Alaska is like Chicago or Connecticut.

7. rjigto4oje

dido people are more laid back just be fair

8. rjigto4oje

I'm not a baseball fan at all or a huge football fan either that's what hockey season is for GO HAWKS

9. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

dont go by the hr, price it per visit or seasonaly

10. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I always thought AK was the promised land of high pay and the road to riches! Oh well. Maybe North Dakotapayup

11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I go by the inch but anything over 12'' blizzard its hourly rate

12. FurFishGame

FurFishGame Member

we push at 2 to 4 inches, but generally speaking people don't start complaining till we hit 6 or 8. in a storm we push twice, each shift is 16 hours, so we push the rout, sleep 3 or 4 hours and go push again.

the drive ways are anything from typical subdivision driveways, to 300 feet long. is there a minimum you would charge to do a small drive way? i mean it would take 30 minutes to plow/shovel a small drive way, i assume you wouldn't charge half price (30 decided by 2=15) thats why i would have the 30 dollar minimum, is that reasonable?

average price is 40 dollar minimum, i went a little lower since i don't have as much experience. is that wrong of me?

13. Mark Oomkes

Yes on the minimum--if I can. Great for you if you can.

Maybe not the most intelligent but definitely not wrong to give them a break while learning the ropes, so to speak. Experience is the best instructor in the world.

Good luck.

14. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Seriously?

15. Mark Oomkes

Do you really think a small driveway is the same size in Alaska as in Long Island?

16. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Actually I was trying to compare the largest ones here. But your also assuming the size as well. Just because he's in Alaska doesn't mean every driveway is several miles long.

Maybe the OP could be more specific in the first place instead of making every guess every detail.

He want's to charge per hour instead of per push or per job. Well i he has the experience that he claims to have he should know how long driveways up there take so he should not have the need to charge by the hour.