1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BX12 end of season review

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Hi guys, I just wanted to share our experience with the BOSS BX12. I did a pre and mid-season review and I wanted to make sure I did a end of season as well...I hate when people just review something when its shinny and new so here goes. Like I already may have stated, this thing saved us tons of salt (literally) by scraping down to the blacktop on most passes. Even where vehicles drove over the snow packing it down didn't seem to be a problem in most cases. The cutting edge has very minimal wear after over 300+ hours of use. It held up to ramming a few buried curbs with no damage to either the box or the curb. I sprayed the box down with FluidFlim (of corse) a couple times and there is no rust anywhere, even all the bolts are shinny new plus kept everything moving freely. The only issue we had was when we took it off to load some snow and when we hooked it back up it started to bind here and there, not a huge deal and was put back on in a rush. So I guess in short if anyone was on the fence because it was a first year product, don't hesitate. I'm sure I will do a 2nd and 3rd year review as well,lol So far so good!
  2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Thanks for the update Brian! I really like the Boss pusher design....now if they'd just come out with a skid steer lineup.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

What did you run the pusher on
    I kind of like the clip on bucket style cause it let's you have the bucket with you for stacking or anything else you might need
  4. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

any pictures in use or after?
  5. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

Brian its is great that you have given reviews at different times of the year. I agree do you have any pics?
  6. Brian Young

I can get some pics I guess, I parked the loader in spring and just went over to fire it up and move it around a bit.
  7. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I will post up that our review and thoughts on the pusher were the same as Brian it is a great pusher and design. We ran (1) last season and ran (14) others that were all Avalanche's on backhoes and another (7) skid boxes that were also Avalanche's.

The Boss box held up great, and the biggest advantage is cutting to pavement on every pass. The box designed to run with a loader or backhoe, was run on a 2009 Cat 430D and the machine had no issues pushing the box on long runs and full of snow. The operator who ran it loves it and doesn't want his Avalanche anymore...

So overall, great product would like to see more options for Skids, Backhoes (different sizes) and loaders.
  8. Brian Young

We ran it on a 510C Dresser front loader. The 510C is roughly 18k operating weight and this machine has a 2.5yrd bucket. I will say though, this thing had a tough time plowing in some storms due to the volume of snow it can hold, I don't know how a backhoe would be able to handle it. We used it on a Lowe's parking lot and a big one at that. We tried plowing everything to one end.....not happening,lol. We ended up plowing 3/4 to one end and the rest to the other. I'll have to see what pics I have. I took a lot with my cell and I since have a new one but there were a few times we had probably 10-15ft of snow out in front of the box. One thing I like about the BX12 verses the Artic is the capacity. The HD Artic might hold more than the regular Artic pusher but they suggest a much larger machine.
  9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Good to hear/read this. I liked the design and was wondering how they worked out. I hope they come out with a 14' model.
  10. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

We didn't have issues running it with a backhoe and had over 40" of snow/ice this past year, but were running high HP Cat 430.
  11. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

Lets see some pics! Hopefully they will make some for skids.
  12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

IMHO 4x4 backhoes have a lot more bite than loaders. The small front tires and the hoe hanging off the back help alot. I think the HP to size is better is well. Just my $.02, not sure how accurate it is.