1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

buzzing transmission

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rbi014, Oct 15, 2010.

1. rbi014

rbi014 Junior Member
    from 44131

have a 2004 2500HD. Followed the instructions on this site on how to do a trans fluid flush with new GM filter and did the work about 2 months ago. I changed the fluid as a precautionary thing, not because of any problems. Fluid was in relatively good shape for 125000 miles, and filter and pan had very little material in it. Now when the vehicle is cold when the transmission is shifted into gear it makes a loud buzzing noise that goes away when the fluid temp gets over 125 degrees. Any ideas?

2. tac48

tac48 Member

Are you positive the noise is coming from the transmission ?

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The pump is sucking air due to a leak on the suction side (filter pickup tube) because of a nicked or improperly installed sealing ring on the filter tube.

Need to be extra gentle and thorough with your work during install. Happens more than you'd think so you're not alone.

4. diesel dust

diesel dust Junior Member

Maybe a heat shield on the side of the tranny? mine does It when cold

5. chris694205

chris694205 Senior Member

mine is doing the same kind of thing.. why would it quit sucking air once the fluid is warmed up?? mine just makes the initial sound for the first minute maybe, then all is well

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A little heat swells things nicely. Such as a sealing O-ring for example.

Higher mileage units will sometimes develop a whine as it wears and fluid drain back becomes more of a problem so they'll do it a little after start up after a period of non use...but not on a lower mileage unit unless something is wrong, such as a leaking filter sealing ring as in this case.

7. rbi014

rbi014 Junior Member
    from 44131

Thanks to all for the quick response.

Thought I put in the filter with great care, but maybe not. Noise is definitely coming from the transmission on the driver's side, which is where the filter tube goes up. I've been driving it like this for about 5000 miles with no apparent problems - for example drove 400 miles yesterday alone (only issue was the $100 for gas). Right now it's just annoying, but assume it could turn into something bad if I neglect changing it out. The question is how long can I delay changing it without causing issues?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You're not doing it any good running it as is. No hydraulic system regardless of type likes air in the fluid. Best to fix it asap.