1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buzzing relay

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by timberjack, Nov 30, 2009.

1. timberjack

timberjack Member

I just finished the install of my V-XT last night. Went alright, aside from a missing bolt kit in the undercarriage box.

After i sprayed it down with fluid film this morning, i hooked it back up to the truck to move it out of the way and while waiting for the trucks glowplugs to heat up, I heard one of the relays buzzing.

I figured out the conditions it's doing this, but am unsure if there's a way to correct it in the Boss wiring.

My truck has a Daytime running light module.​
    The relay only buzzs when the DRL's are on, and it's switched to the plow side lights.​
    If i turn the headlights on, the relay stops buzzing.​
    if i turn back to the truck side lights on the switch, relay stops making noise.​

I tried switching some relays around, but same position will keep buzzing under this condition.

Now, the easiest way i suppose is to run with full headlights on any time the plow is mounted. I'd rather keep my DRL module, but i'm not averse to losing it.

Any options in the Boss wiring harness? I didn't think about trying to just remove that relay to see what happens. Maybe i'll go hook it up again and try that, and look over the wiring diagram too.

I'm open to any ideas.
  2. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

I had a buzzing relay as well.....Had to do some custom wireing.......what truck Is It on?

Some old dodges the wireing diagram that they provide Is not corect and the dual burn will not work and 1 relay will buzzzzzzzzzz
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  3. timberjack

timberjack Member

Daner, it's on the 96 Ford in my sig. The DRL module is Ford factory installed, and is a little box of electronic circuits behind the drivers side front signal. It works by putting a reduced voltage through the high beam circuit only.

Think i figured it out, but i'd still appreciate a second opinion.

I hooked the truck back up and made some more observations.

- With the relay totally removed, the plow lights function as normal.
    -- ie: the high beam on the plow mast is on at about 30-40% voltage, mimicking what the truck does without the plow.

- When i had the relay in place, and it was buzzing away, both the high and low beam plow lights were on at reduced voltage. Must be some sort of conflict there with the relay and the DRL module on the truck side.

- With the relay removed, I tried all functions and everything seems to work properly, lights and hydraulics.

Will consult the wiring diagram later tonight when i have some time.

The wires on the relay block in discussion are:
    red w/ white stripe
    white w/ yellow stripe
    Red w/ blue stripe
    Blue w/ white (perhaps a light green) stripe
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The 5th relay for the dual burn doesn't work correctly on some trucks, and yours is one of them due to the DRL module since your high beams on reduced output are your DRL's. Have to either disable the DRL's or leave the DB relay out.
  5. timberjack

timberjack Member

Thanks for the info. Right now i'll just leave the relay out. I packed the socket with dielectric grease, so it won't corrode.

I guess i'll keep an eye out in the scrap yards for the shunt plug that eliminates the drl module. Now i'm wishing i kept that off my last truck. lol