1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying Used Plow Truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Young Pup, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Ok I have been skeptical of buying used plow trucks. For one I don't know what the other operator has rammed into. Not sure of the what other abuse that was done either. But I find myself looking at an 06 chevy 2500 hd with 38,000 miles on it and comes with a plow.

What I would like is from those that have gone this route, what should I look for? Have you had any major issuses after your purchase? This will come from a dealer lot, not a private seller if that matters.

Thanks in adavance,

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Can/did you get a carfax on it? I'm not too familiar with Dodges warranty but isn't that still under the factory bumper to bumper or at the least the powertrain portion of the warranty? If so your risk is at least limited.
  3. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I wont buy new trucks any more. 1st, You loose around 60% of its value with in the first 4 years, 2nd If your buying from a dealer there may be some type of used vehicle warranty available. 3rd save your money, the more you save on the used truck the more you put into your pocket.
    As far as problems, I now buy all of my vehicles (cars and trucks) no less 5 years old and around 150k on them. I take a real good look at them and do as much research as i can on them, I try to get it on a lift to check out the under side of them. Even if i have to do some major drivetrain repair 6 months later, its still less in the long run to buy used. Hope this helps somepayup
  4. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I can run a carfax for you if you are going to go forward with the deal. If it's at a dealer they should have no problem showing you one though.

I would want to see it up on a rack for sure, maybe call the previous owner and chat with him about the truck.
    Is it at a chevy dealer? if so is it certified? if not why?
  5. shoeman68

shoeman68 Member

I agree. I would buy the 06. Tell them you want to buy an extended warranty for the truck for up to 75,000 miles, this will pay dividens in the long term.

I have an 05, two sets of exhaust manifolds, broken spedo, broken radio, no a/c, power steering box. $100.00 deductable each time. Bare in mind I work this truck everyday for the last 5 years. It sees lots of plow time and lots of salt.

They have told me so many time at the dealer, "lucky you got that extended" that's a $2000 job etc... etc...

But, I will consider trading in when that warranty runs out. The truck has 65,000 on it something else is bound to go wrong at 75,001

Good Luck!
  6. Young Pup

Thanks for all the replies so far guys. This helps alot. As for the carfax I spoke to them about it and it should be on their website. But as of this post it is not there yet. They said it would not be a problem for me to get one. I might be taking a drive up to look at it on Thursday. It is only 60 miles away, so it is a easy trip.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Try to get the phone number of the last owner. He may or may not tell you the history of the truck
  8. Young Pup

Thanks, I will try to see if the dealer can put me into contact with him.