1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying Used F250

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by fordtruck661, Aug 5, 2011.

1. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

Hi guys Im going to Look/buy a 2000 F250 powerstroke XLT super cab 4x4. It has 177000 miles on it and he is asking $10000 for it. Good deal? Keep in mind Im driving 2 1/2 hours to go see it. It looks to be in good condition.

Also I need some tips on things to look for to know it is a good truck. any help will be great.

Thanks

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It's well under Kelly Blue Book.

3. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Its not as good of a deal as we got on our crew cab 03 with 7.3l and 200k, but sounds like a good deal none the less. Check out the oil pan as they like to rust out (just replaced ours on the 03), the right way to replace it is to remove the engine, we found a diesel guy to do ours on the side for $1200 pulling the engine. Speaking of rust, check the rear wheel wells as they rust out the box above the wheel. People will sometimes cover them up with fender flares to hide the rust, or say its just been fixed but it will come back. Also ask about the trans and see if anything has been done. They are known for weak torque converters and loosening valve body bolts witch usually causes a real soft (almost not noticeable) 2nd to 3rd shift. Also check over the ball joints (wear often) and front wheel bearings (hub assembly, expensive) as they have sometimes have issues. They are GREAT trucks with some easy aftermarket mods, it will be bullet proof

4. fordtruck661

from CT

Im going to try to talk him down to $9000 but I will go up to $9500.

as for the oil pan I am hoping that it is in good shape or that he has already replaced it same with the trans (The most important thing to ask about and I forget to ask:realmad: but oh well)

I also plan on finding a good used plow to put on

Thanks for the fast response and keep the info cumming

5. fordtruck661

from CT

Hey guys I just call the guy and told him im going to have to go tomorrow.

But anyways Do you think driving 2 1/2 hours to look at a truck is worth it? I have been looking for around 4 months (I am very picky on what i want) and this truck has almost everything i want. Also when i called i asked about the oil pan and he said that it has not been replaced and it does have some bubbles on it. As for the trans he said he had just changed the oil and that it is running good.

So with that said what do you think about having to drive 2 1/2 hours. and how much longer would you think the oil pan will last? (seeing that Im going to be clearing all my money buying this truck and a plow)

6. Bigfoot Brent

Bigfoot Brent Senior Member

If you clean up the rust on the pan, paint it and then keep spraying it with a sticky penetrating film like Fluid Film or Castle Endura it could easily last for years to come. I have sprayed my '01 7.3 oil pan with the Endura on it for years and it still does not have any rust on it.

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

It's worth the drive if that's the truck you want and can't find it any closer.

8. fordtruck661

from CT

That sounds like a great idea I just hope it is not to the point where this will not help

9. fordtruck661

from CT

Well Just bought the truck ended up at $9750 it look good and clean the guy has taken good care of it and has put lots of new and after market parts on it. :D

Now the hunt for a plow! Do you guys think a 7 1/2 foot plow will work on this truck or is it too small. I do not want to go any bigger than a 8 foot thow.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Congrats on the truck.
    7.5' is a toy. Waste of time IMO. I would be looking at an 8.5' or even a 9'. The weight difference is very small but the work difference is huge.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Ditto:nod:

12. fordtruck661

from CT

Thanks guys Im going crazy wanting to go pick this thing up.:yow!: I plan on getting a 8' plow Im only plowing some driveways for know. and I will get some pictures up some time this weekend when I get home with it.

13. iceman1

iceman1 Sponsor

I have a 7.5 that came off a f 250 2001 I will sell for 1700 in great shape this will be small but I would put wings on it and use it. The problem is plow is in ohio. I could ship it for about $200 LTL I would think.

14. fordtruck661

from CT

Well here she is

Truck 1.jpg

Truck 3.jpg

Truck 4.jpg

Truck 5.jpg

15. Skitzo

Skitzo Junior Member
    from Boston

Nice looking sled, if you have any oil pan problems check out damiendiesel1 on youtube, he has a nice product. I know a few people who have done it.