1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying tires

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RBRONKEMA GHTFD, Jan 4, 2008.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I am going to be buying tires here with a few weeks, and I am just looking for a few opinions on what you guys are running. I am either going to be buying bfg all terrains or cooper discover st's. They will be 285/75R16's. I am putting them on a 04 gmc sierra 2500hd. They will fit without a problem too. There are 285 bfg's on it now. Thanks

2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

thats what i have. bfg at's
  3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Have you ever heard of Nokians? They are pretty expensive but well worth it in terms of tread wear, traction and overall ride.

If you're not interested in checking them out then I'd say BFGs are your best bet.
  4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

i am getting cooper discover atr's right now picking it up tomorrow 4 lt245/75r16's installed mounted and ballanced $632.13 with tax
  5. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i went with pro comp at on my truck. they have a 50k mile warr. and they were great in the snow. would buy another set anytime
  6. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

u seen my bfg's? i love them on chevy's/gmc.... i had the coopers on my past truck, a dodge. Both are good tires. Coopers are about $150-200 less but don't look as good on a gmc. At least thats my opinion. I just got mine in October from Belle tire over by meijer on Riley for $750 out the door for the same size as you want. It was the best deal i could find.
  7. diesel dust

diesel dust Junior Member

285/75R16's Are to big for a stock rim use a 265/75/16 on stock rims will wear much better:nod:
  8. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

How are the BFG AT/KO's for fuel mileage?
  9. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

fuel milage? not so good.... but it's a truck and you aren't going to get good fuel milage anyways. If you are concerned about fuel milage get a 245/70/16 road tire. my 285/75/16 i get about a mile or so worse. And in my opinion it's either the 245 for good milage or 285 for the size. Don't mess with a 265, it looks like crap on a big truck, but then again so goes as 245. It's all personal opinion.
  10. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I looked at maybe 20 dif tires and i liked the chaparal a/p..these were 139 each with mount and balance..I seriously think these are the best i have used in the snow..I have a 2002 2500 and got the 245's...
  11. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

Well, not 100% true. It is still possible to get good mileage and have good traction, it depends on the amount of homework you do to find the right tire. Michelin publishes rolling resistance with their big truck tires, not sure about the light duty truck tires.
    I run Michelin XCX/APT's on my plow truck. They work good, look good and wear good too. I got 50+k out of the previous set, ok fuel mileage, and last I knew, only available at Sears. They only time I get stuck is on ice.

I need to get tires for my '02 Yukon, and I have the passenger tires on it now from when I bought it. I was thinking of the AT/KO's, but fuel mileage is a concern.

12. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

adjust the pressure properly and you wont have a single problem with wear.

I am still deciding what I want. There is alot of options out there and looks are important to me too. My truck is my daily driver and my personal truck aswell.
  14. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

285/75/16 bfg a/t... enough said :)
  15. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Call me cheap but I'm in the process of paying back school loans on top of every other bill in the mailbox.... I just needed tires and ended up buying tires at PepBoys and couldn't be happier.... buy 3 get one free... How can you go wrong with that? I ended up getting the mud terrain definity's. They also have a 45k warranty as long as I rotate them correctly. All I know is they get great traction, don't make much noise, were VERY good on the wallet compared to everything else... (they were half the price of BFG's) and there keeping my truck rolling.... just my thoughts... good luck with whatever you choose though...

I have the same problem, but it is to my parents. They aren't like a bill collector but, you still want to keep them happy you know. Leaning towards the bfgs even more and more, have em on the truck now. IDK WHAT TO DO! AHAH!
  17. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Ryan I had and still have the BFG's. I run them in the summer. I got a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers for the winter. I love them and hate them at the same time. I like screwing around in the winter. You know donuts, drifting and such. Well its sucks cause I can't do that stuff anymore. :cry: the tires are just to damn good and wont loose enough traction so I can do it. I even took the ballast out of the truck to try and get it to break loose, NO GO :realmad: :). So I'm happy but miss playing in the snow.
  18. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

Looks like you made up your mind to me. You have them already without complaints. I will be getting the BFG's when I wear out these junk stockers.
  19. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

Folks, keep this in mind.

With the rising fuel prices the way they are, a tire that gets better fuel mileage will cost you less in the long run. Saving $100 now might cost you $2250 in the long run.

For example, if you get the tires that get worse fuel mileage, say that costs you $.01 a mile, over 45k miles that's $450, I think it could be more likely that it might cost you around $.05 a mile, which would be $2,250.
    So, save some extra pennies and do your homework so you can add over $700 a year to your business if those tires last only 3 years.

Now I understand that there is a balance when buying tires, such if they don't get sh!t for traction- calling a wrecker or a friend all the time to pull you out wouldn't make sense.