1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying this Dodge 2500 w/ Boss Vblade

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by habart30, Aug 23, 2010.

1. habart30

habart30 Member

Before I make the purchase does anyone have any tips or things I should look out for?
    2004 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi. 84K Miles.. 8.2 Poly Boss V Blade
    Asking price $16,900
    I currenty have a 2000 Chevy 1500 with a 7 1/2 Western. This would be a nice upgrade!
    Let me know what you think.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Hurry up before GP buys it.
  3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like a steel blade to me.
  4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

He'll be like "I'll give you $4k for it......not a penny more" lol.

As for the truck, look out for front end parts, trans slipping and MPG's with that V plow working aren't going to be so hot. I'd get it in the air and shake it down. Probably needs ball joints, track bar, poss tie rods, poss hub bearings.
  5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Def a steel blade and worn very unevenly. Needs cutting edges and mount needs to be raised up about an inch.
  6. grandview

Cutting edge is good to me. I wait till the bolts are even with the ground.
  7. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

saw a guy once that waited just a little longer then that
  8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

What got-h20 said. Have them replace the front end for you, make sure she shifts well and the tranny fluid isn't burnt. Other than that they are a tough truck and the tranny's are much better than what they used to be.
  9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Yeah but that thing won't clean for anything with how theyre worn. That mount needs to be adjusted properly.
  10. grandview

As you can see I use all the cutting edge up.

11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Lol nice. I actually just changed one that was rubbing the bolts (customer). I'll see if its still around and get a pic.

I change mine pretty much every year no matter what they look like. I give the old ones away. IMHO V plows don't clean worth a sh!t with half worn edges. MVP edges are only like $200 my cost for the pair so its worth it to me.
  12. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Best advise... DON'T buy a former plow truck... I made that mistake with my '03.... a $4,000 front end re-build later, I won't ever buy another truck that was used to plow (other than myself). She's holding up fine now of course (I try to maintain my stuff well), but the other guy before me may not have been quite as kind to her.

I made SURE that my '06 was NEVER plowed or hauled with... I want to be the one to put it through its paces... not someone else....

Just my $.02

I do believe that the Dodges are known to have front end issues, along with some weak trannies. I can't speak from experience, just things I've picked up from here....

Why not pick up a nice GMC/Chevy 2500HD?

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do!
  13. DrakeSabitch

DrakeSabitch Senior Member

those letters on the truck that read "DODGE" are code language for "Don't buy me". if it had a cummins maybe...but it doesnt. Dodge trucks are crap. Had one once, learned my lesson. Just my advice, good luck!
  14. plowguy43

94-01 (02 2500/3500) Had bad tranny's, the 03-11's have the 545RFE that has been a very reliable tranny which I'd take over a stock 4L80E any day of the week.

Any 3/4Ton plow truck front end is going to fall apart- Chevy/Ford/Dodge. As for the rest of the truck, I'd pick Ford first, Dodge Second, Chevy Last in regards to a full size 3/4 or 1 ton work truck and this is coming from being a fleet manager who see's all 3 on a daily basis.
  15. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

did 02 dodges not have ANY tranny?
  16. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

id buy it, if it needs front end parts no big deal, parts for these trucks are cheap, the only thing that may need to be replaced is the ball joints and u-joints. the tie rods and trackbars are pretty tough on the third gens. all said and done 400 bucks in parts and a saturday to install them and your done. everyone makes a big deal with these dodges and bad front ends but its cheap and easy to fix and they last a along time with good parts. that truck will make you alot of money
  17. plowguy43

Seriously- You just quoted me and didn't notice the (02 2500/3500)?
  18. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed, any truck in this line of work is gonna need frt end parts at some point. My personal opinion is Ford are the toughest. That's just me. I think all three are damn good trucks though, and if inspected right, any purchase can be a good one. From that point forward, it's all about you.
  19. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

lol, ok, i see it now, dumb question of the century then, why not just say 94-02?
  20. plowguy43

Because the Ram 1500 was redesigned in 2002 and used the 45RFE Tranny, the Ram2500/3500's didn't change body style until 2003 and the tranny had a computer flash changing it to a 5 speed (added another overdrive) making it a 545RFE tranny. The 2002 Ram 2500/3500's still were the old body style with a 47RE tranny that wasn't that great.