1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying service

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick, Aug 4, 2001.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I got reminded today that we need to think about service when we buy as well as "selling". I went shopping for a V-Box sander today. Went to two different dealers. Second was about $250 higher for essentially the same type of $3000 unit, except for the gas motor. He could tell I'd been shopping and started into his pitch about how the service I'd get would make the higher cost well worth it. Essentially that he is about half the distance. But mainly that they're going to be open till 4:00AM during the winter months. If I needed service, like backing into something and bending the spinner shaft, all I'd have to do is head in there, call him on my cell phone that I was on the way and what I needed. Told him he didn't need to sell me on service, that's what I was using to market myself. I tell others to use the closest dealer - guess I need to take my own advise. Anybody that does sanding, any opinions - is 10% worth it? I won't mention the brands of motors to avoid brand bashing.

Another subject for opinions - Stainless steel vs painted. I know Stainless will last much longer, but costs about $900 more. My idea is to go with painted, wash it well at the end of the season, repaint as needed and coat with WD40, assume it'll last five years and I can sell it for a few hundred dollars then. Then, if I decide to continue after five years go with a stainless. Seem reasonable?
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

IMO split the difference and get a stainless electric unit, that should put you in the 3500.00 or so range. That way no worries about engines at all, and it will last forever.
    However that being said, a painted unit properly cared for will last as long as the supporting engine and parts will. If you plan on turing over the units every 5 yrs go with the painted steel.
  3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I think Dino has the right idea. A stainless electric model will give you a very long service life. And look at it this way... it's one LESS thing to be dumping gas into at 2am.

4. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

ONE WORD !!!!!

STAINLESS !!!!:D

Can't speak to the electric, but I have heard they are quieter and I agree its one less thing to worry about putting gas into at 2 or 3:00 am.

5. Wilburn Parks

Wilburn Parks PlowSite.com Veteran

I have one question on the electric models. Is the chain and spinner run by a single electric motor or is it electric over hyd. with hyd. motors? I don't think I've seen one yet. I will be looking at V-box spreaders this fall. I have a gas powered one now, and I do like the ideal of stainless.Does the electric pull on the batteries much?
  6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

One electric motor installed in place of the gas unit.
    They draw very little, larger draw when turned on, but once running very little. About 1/4 the draw of the plow pump.