1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying s used plow truck?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Drewster2016, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Drewster2016

Drewster2016 Junior Member

Hi all, I am not a snow contractor by any means, just figured this would be the place to ask, I'm looking at buying a used truck, it's s 09 f250 that has a boss vxt that comes with it, I really like the truck, steering wheel has some wear on it... But my question is should k consider passing on the truck because of the plow? The plow was put on in 2011 and the carfax shoes it was registerd as commercial, I would use the truck for my own driveway and maybe some family members some time, but would you pass on the truck just because of the fact it was commercially owned and the plow? Thanks
  2. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

How many miles? How much rust? any receipts for repair history? Front ends are expensive to re build, ball joints, u joints, tie rods etc. Have it looked over by your mechanic first, so you have an idea of repairs needed.

How much salt do they use in your area, did they salt with this truck, check the frame over good.

I wouldn't skip it but you have to look it over good
  3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

4. Drewster2016

It's got 110k miles (6.4l engine)
    Waiting for more pictures to be sent to me, it's about an hour away, want to get all the info before I take a trip, don't want to waste my time, they use salt but past few years they have switch over to something else, just waiting for the dealer to email me back and answer my questions. I don't need a plow truck, but i wouldn't mind having a plow
  5. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

No run away. They are selling it for a reason. Trust me I bought a used truck and thought the same exact thing and was nothing but a head ache
  6. Drewster2016

Not sure they are selling it for a reason; they could be, but they could also not be, but I guess I'll just pass and find something else
  7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I'd pass just because it's a 6.4L, I haven't heard great things about the motor. As far as being a commercial truck...that would keep me looking, some of my PAST employees treated my trucks/equipment like garbage.
  8. Drewster2016

The 6.4 doesent scare me, I really like this truck and the plow is a bonus, I'm just not sure seeing as it was commerical if it's worth looking at, people say no it'll be rusted out and front end destroyed others say it would be fine I just don't want to take the drive to see it and waste my time
  9. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Just because it had commercial plates doesn't mean anything. Here in RI any truck 3/4 ton and over gets a commercial plate, no matter how it's used. Lots of people here run a pickup with a plow for their own convenience. Plow their driveway and barnyard and call it a day. You need to see the truck in person, on a lift here you can check the front end as well as the frame and general condition.
  10. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Why did you bother asking? Sounds like you already made up your mind to buy it. Have fun with a used and plowed with 6.4!
  11. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

I have a repair shop and would never buy one that was already used for plowing.
  12. PremierSnowPlow

PremierSnowPlow Senior Member

In the end it's your money, if you like the truck and believe that it would serve you well and it's in decent shape buy it. Don't let others tell you how to spend your money. 6.4 can be a scary motor, if you do all the routine maintenance and spend some money on the right deletes/mods you will have yourself a pretty nice truck with decent power for plowing.
  13. stackmaster

stackmaster Senior Member

If your an "odds" guy, and I am, I would be super careful with anything that has been used for plowing. Odds are there is more wear and tear on it than you can see. Dont forget all that wiring thats likely been spliced here and there. Salt sitting under the truck is hard on everything, not to mention the front end and tranny. Odds are, you will likely have better luck with a unit that hasnt been used for plowing. IMO
  14. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

it's a 6 year old truck that has had a plow on it for 4 years. you have to look over any used vehicle before purchasing, and pay even closer attention if it has/had a plow on it. it's all about how it was used and maintained the in past. advice to "run away" just because it's a used truck with a plow is silly. be diligent in checking it out. ask questions and do your homework.
  15. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

Commercially owned has nothing to do with it, You could always contact the former owner, If you don't really need a plow why buy one with a plow? You could always add a plow.

How much are they asking for the truck, Most Dealers have a 5k mark up on them. If the truck been sitting on the lot for a while they may take a $500.00 to 1k deal. Especially at the end of the month to make there quota.

Most dealers trade the truck at wholesale auction numbers as if they don't sell it this is where it will end up. Post the asking price if you like the truck and got your heart set on it. I will tell you what to do from there.
  16. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I agree. Especially people saying front end issues - what front end issues? Same issue you'd have on a 'non plow truck
  17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Then prsport some more.

Uless it's in stellar condition, you know how to fix it and it's priced below
    Market value.

It's a used plow truck... Plowing is abuseive.
  18. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

So is towing. Would you skip out on a truck that has a trailer hitch on it? Doubt it. OP neess to do his due diligence and if he is still interested have a mechanic look at it from there
  19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:nono: I would never consider a truck that was used by a "hot shot"

Is it a 5er hitch or a ball for a gooseneck or a 1 7/8 ball that was used
    To tow his bass boat a few times a year.
    Or the guy that just puts a hitch in there to look cool, so
    Then he can flip up his tow mirrors......

Big difference between the comershail use and personal use.

Your use may be seen as abuse by others,
    You don't know how a employee treated it.
    Or keepted an eye on the fluids.

Could it be abused by personal use, well sure it could be, with
    Comershail use, we can almost be assured it has been at some point.
    Then ask yourself, why are they selling such a good truck?
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  20. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i guess guys here have the luxury of buying everything brand spanking new. must be nice. yeah, there are absolutely no second hand products available anywhere that are worth buying. i mean just ask yourself, why would anyone sell anything if it's so great??

funny thing is when the time comes for these guys to sell their plow trucks, are they going to say how great it is and how it's maintained it's whole life and power washed after every storm? no - i'm sure they're gonna let everyone know it's a piece of junk and that they need to walk away as fast as possible.