1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying residential cliets

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by M&M, Oct 16, 2011.

1. M&M

M&M Senior Member

I have two different opportunities. They are very different but have some similiarities.

A) I received a list of 8 potential residential clients from a guy who is no longer plowing. I am in process of signing these clients.

What do you think is a good number I should give to old plower? $0? One plow ($40 each)? 2 plows ($80 each)? More?

B) My friend is thinking of getting out of the business. He only has 10-12 residential clients. Again, what do you think is a fair price?

Thanks for the help.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Zippy for both.
  3. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

I wouldnt give anything, no guarentee they will use you.
  4. Indy

Indy Senior Member

a steak and some beers........max
  5. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

maybe 100 to each guy max. but no more
  6. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

There is a guy around here who has 30 accounts. He wants $4000.00 for them.
  7. neplow

neplow Junior Member

up to you. i have given away drives expecting nothing. A token of appreciation and thanks, show of respect would probably be well received.
  8. swtiih

how much do these accounts make
  9. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

A couple hundred each, but only if you sign most or all the clients. You are not paying for the clients, you are paying for the recommendation the old contractors are giving you.
  10. quigleysiding

Talked to the wife. She said that they are mostly driveways and a couple of small lots. She said that it pays $1500.00 per push
  11. swtiih

4000 is just way to much

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Hell i turn down 40-50 new driveways a year lol No way would i ever pay for driveways. I have also decided to down size my driveways this year to focus on more commercials and have been giving driveways away like wild fire to who ever wants them.
  13. quigleysiding

Yeah You would be plowing the first year for just about free with the amount of snow we usually get.
  14. mnlefty

mnlefty Senior Member

Do you give a referral discount to your current customers? I would give the previous plower $$ equal to whatever you give a customer for a referral, only for those accounts that sign up, as that is all you're getting is a referral. Now if he is handing you signed contracts it's closer to a sub arrangement worth a small % of this year's revenue, then when you sign them up next year they're yours 100%.
  15. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I would not pay for driveways! They are easy to pick up, if someone see you out plowing their neighbors driveway and they are shoveling, they will more than likely flag you down to do theirs for the rest of the season!
  16. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Thank you to all for your input. About 50% of the clients have signed with me so far so I still don't know what I'm going to give each guy. Probably only one push worth is what I'm guessing. These clients are right in my wheel house as I drive by them on my current route so it's all gravy.
  17. grasskeepers

grasskeepers Member

there only worth 1/5 of what you would make off them in the first winter

but i wouldn't pay more then 800 for them,
  18. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Our main business is pet sitting. Someone got out of the business and reffered all her clients to us. She expexted nothing. At christmas we got her a gift card for like $100. They are not selling a business so you really don't have to pay anything. Gift cards, case of beer, etc
  19. moremph

moremph Junior Member
    from NKY

I recently purchased a plowing buisness, I paid for the equipment and basically got hand walked into 6 contracts introduced and handed them, But thier was no gurantee on any of it. and we didnt get one. I paid nothing for the contracts and only for the equipment. However you can bet both guys will be getting a christmas card if i get paid