1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying new truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mistel, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Mistel

Mistel Member

I'm buying a new truck and I've got it narrowed down to a chevy 1500 ext cab or the 1500HD quad cab. I don't do much plowing, just a couple of parking lots approx 50' x 50', pretty open and straight forward. This will be the family truck, which is why im getting ext cab. One baby but probably more soon. Ill get a new western to put on it. Any thoughts on which truck would be better????

2. johngus

johngus Senior Member

This has been discussed over and over.Why buy a 1500?step up now and buy the 2500,you'll be glad later on.the price difference really isn't that much.I recently bought a 2500 Suburban,plows like crazy and is the ultimate family cruiser.

3. myo

myo Senior Member

Between those two I would go with the 1500HD.

4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

MISTEL..........Remember GM does NOT offer snow plow
    prep. on 1/2 ton ex-cabs or 1/2 HDs. Dealer might
    void warranty on you. Thats why I went to the 2500.
    Cost the same anyway...Better safe than sorry....geo

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Mistel,buy a beater to plow with,why wreck your new truck for a few jobs? Besides a 1500 excab isnt the best choice for plowing,and you will likey void your trans/rear/front drive and front end warranty when you mount a plow. If you do mount it,Get a 2500,not the 2500HD,the regular 2500,they ride almost as good as the 1500,and only sit an inch or 2 higher.They handle a plow with no warranty,or legal issues.

6. NYRookie

NYRookie Member

Putting a plow on a 1500 will void your warranty for sure. I found that out before I bought my truck. They will warranty a 2500 series. A 2500 is not much more $ than a 1500. I would test drive one before I bought a 1500. My 3 year old neice hates to ride in my wifes or my sister in laws cars. She always wants to ride in mine or her fathers "bumpy" trucks. She can't get enough of the bumps.:D :)

7. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with John, it would be a better choice to go with 2500. I don't think that it would cost much more than 1500HD. A Chevy 2500HD would be even better, but you can do fine with 2500 without a problem I would expect.

8. porkhead1

porkhead1 Member

I've seen a lot of people mention GM's "Plow Package", what does it consist of........???
    "Plow Package" to me would consist of : a huge aux. trans. cooler, a 130+ amp alt. ( @ 1500rpms), a 7-blade fan, a triple-core radiator, a front suspension that will support the additional 800-1000# of added weight of the plow, an auto trans., maybe bigger brakes, maybe an aux. engine oil cooler, some sort of "snow" tires........just to mention a few things.