1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying New Plow (Do snowdoggs break all the time?)

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Arloslawn, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Arloslawn

Arloslawn Member
    from Indiana

I have recently had problems with an old plow that i bought with a truck and am now either going to purchase a western or snowdogg for a 2500. I love the snowdogg plows since I have been researching plows mainly due to the cheap price.

BUT, I have seen many people saying these plows break down. Are they junky or cheap compared to other companies? I mean have these things only been around for a year and there is already this many problems?

I dont have a ton of money to be throwing around on plows and i want to get the best quality for a decent price:)

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

whats a snowdogg? if you have money to buy a western then buy that

3. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

The only problems i have read about have been on the Md plows, and alot of that was because its a medium duty plow that got used for heavy plowing. If your looking at the ex or hd Id say go for it. I have a friend that has one that is very hard on things and he hasn't had any issues in two seasons. BTW snow dogg is made by buyers and they have been around for ever.

I personally have a western, i wanted a snow dogg but didn't have the funds for a new one and couldn't find a used one for my application.

4. plowman69

plowman69 Member
    from amherst

I love my Snow Doggs no real problems with any of them I run 4 of them

5. gtree

gtree Junior Member

buying a snowdogg

Bought a vx85 before Christmas. The third time out the solenoids went berserk. Called dealer, who called snowdogg.... they know about the problem but don't know how to fix it. DON'T BUY ONE! Very frustrating to fork over any amount of hard-earned money in this economy and get a substandard item. Should have bought a real plow.

6. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

If you haven't yet call Snowdogg. They know how to fix it if it is the same deal as mine. Left right quit working? Starts to V etc? Give them a call.

7. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Get a real plow...Western or Boss all the way!

8. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

Ive used my MD75 for 2 seasons now and have to say it is great.
    Every bit as good as my western.
    Now have a 2nd MD75 we put on the new truck and it got well used the past few weeks

We have put in multiple 12 hour shifts on both of them this season already and they
    just keep on throwing snow

3 of my fellow subs had breakdown issues this last storm. (12"+)
    One was a curtiss that wouldnt drop the plow.
    The other one was a Western that lost power.
    The 3 one was a truck issue. (wheel bearing)

Now my 3rd vehicle has a western on it and I dont say bad things about them
    as I have plowed many many miles with it... Had to replace one valve
    2 years ago.. Wore out a bunch of cutting edges on that thing.

I rate my MD75 as a very good plow.
    If you want heavier duty, Go with the HD75. It is a monster....
    My nephew loves his and at the price he got it for could buy gas all winter
    on what he saved over the Western....

9. Arloslawn

Arloslawn Member
    from Indiana

I ended up going with the HD snowdogg. I couldnt fork over another 1,000 (college student:mad:)

Thanks for the input I'll let you guys know how it works out.

10. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

There good plows. I have the 8 footer and it has been a great plow so far. I dont beat on it, but it earns its keep. The MD series has its issues, but that is the newer line up, so it will take time to get the kinks out. The HD/EX line is their first and flagship line. Most people here are going to beat you over the head with the red plow stiffy they have. Go with what you are comfortable with and who will give you the best dealer service. I wont matter the color of the plow if you have a shyt dealer!!!!

11. Arloslawn

Arloslawn Member
    from Indiana

Im excited I get the Hd on my 1990 chevy 2500 tommorow.:redbounce Its funny our local dealer sells both western and buyers and they have been recomending the snowdogg. When I told them I had a few commercial lots and numerous houses the dealer as well as buyers said that the md75 is just for residential and shouldnt be used for commericial.

12. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

I have a 9.5 v dogg and I would put up to both my boss and my blizzard 810's anyday. For the price, locking cylinders and a snowdeflector standard. Hell Ya!

13. kylecal91

kylecal91 Junior Member

What model would I have to go with to fit on a 1 ton dodge? I tried using their plow selector thing but either didn't work or I couldn't figure it out.

14. micklock

micklock Senior Member

EX or the VX series.

15. Gary @ Shamrock

Gary @ Shamrock Junior Member

I am on my first year with a Snowdogg EX80 on my 2003 Ford F-250. So far I love it. We don't see many red plows here in the northeast. But when I compare it to the yellow plows we live and die by here, it stacks up great. The controller works fine and fast with big buttons for my bear paws. I do find that the jack is a piece of junk and aligning the plow to the truck isn't all that easy if it has been dropped any way but straight. That said MM1s and MM2s can many times take more than minutes to mount!?! I would not hesitate to purchase another Snowdogg.

Gary @ Shamrock Landscaping

16. banonea

banonea PlowSite Fanatic

western ultra mount all the way

17. ppap

ppap Junior Member

I've used my MD68 three times since I bought it. At this point, I am very satisfied with my decision to buy Snowdogg.

Every single plow manufacturer has generated complaints on this site. Buying from a reputable dealer is just as important as the product itself.

18. split2ndnova

split2ndnova Member

I have plowed with a handful of commercial grade plows. I have had a few issues with mine but I would buy another one in a split 2nd. Ha ha. This plow is put together like a frieght train. I havent plowed with anything close in years. SnowDogg is also one of the only blades that will fit many trucks. Most will go up to 7.5 on an excursion. Buyers gave me no issues with the 8.5 v that weighs almost 1000 lbs. Yes, its heavy but I dont see my plow wiggling back and forth while driving. I hated that years ago. Durability is standard on a dog, I swear. This plow is killer......

19. Dockboy19

Dockboy19 Junior Member

My brother in-law has a Western Ultra Mount, great plow. I bought a MD-75 and could not be happier. Just spent the past week going out twice a day with 20 drive ways and one small storage lot.I have had zero problems with mine, and would put it up against any others. I think with anything that is beat on as much as plows something will break at some point.

20. Arloslawn

Arloslawn Member
    from Indiana

I have now plowed two days with my new HD75 on my chevy 2500 and its nasty. I do a medical complex, subdivision, pharmacy, and a few homes and it has held up like a champ. We got about a foot or more of snow the day after my plow was put on and I was in my truck for 15 hours straight, no breaks (the longest stop was to gas up) and she worked awesome. The second day I also worked another 12 hours with ease. I love my snowdogg. I forgot to mention I purchased the basic salt dogg spreader at Tractor Supply for 500.00 and it throws rock salt no problem. It also beats paying about 1500 for a western. This salter has already earned its keep by far