1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying new impact wrench - which one?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Deere John, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Hi all. I am treating myself to a new 1/2" air impact wrench. I am looking for opinions on the Brand/Model to look for. I want a wrench that is tough and reliable, and with enough torque that I can use it on 1 1/4" sockets with the upsize adapters. I'm fed up with the junk I was sold the last time. Thanks in advance.

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Ingersoll Rand

enough said

3. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Definetely IR,I have one Snap-on 1/2" I like for tires,since its much lighter than the IR,but if you need the most power in a 1/2"go IR.If you will be handling it all day,and weight is a concern,and your only loosening tires,and small stuff,the snap-on is a better choice,since it is much lighter,qiueter,and smoother than the IR,but is not as strong.

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

IR Nascar edition, has more reverse ft lbs than standard IR 1/2" drive
    I spoke with an IR rep last night, and in October they are releasing a new 15.8 CFM 5 hp 80 gal compressor, and you get a free 1/2" drive impact with it. Priced at 899.00
    Dino

6. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

I ended up getting a Husky from Home Depot. It has a lifetime warrantee (!) and 500 ft lb of reverse torque. And its an no-questions warrantee.

I registered it in my son's name - he's 5 1/2 months old and should live longer than me :D to make use of the warrantee.

It works great - will remove fasteners at 60 psi that the old one wouldn't touch at 125 psi.