1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying My First Truck....

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DSLND, Nov 12, 2007.

1. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Hey guys,

I'm getting to the point in my business, where its time to start looking for a truck. In February, i get my drivers permit, allowing me to drive with an adult. Grandma normally drives me to my jobs, and reads while i work. I have doubled in size in the last year, and put all my work during the week, after school. We have been having to take dad's Jeep for mowing, making him take my mom's van, and my mom takes my grandma's car. I don't like doing that, but i have no other choice.

Heres what i'm looking for:

1995-2000 Chevy/GMC K2500 (older body style)
    Reg. Cab, Long Bed
    350 V8
    4x4 (Auto Trans.)
    Less than or just over 100k miles
    Would rather buy a truck w/o plow, but i'd consider one with a plow, if it was what i want

I will be pulling a 18' enclosed trailer (once i get a truck, i can finally upgrade trailers), plowing with an 8' Western plow, and putting a dump insert for hauling debris.

I have $10k to spend on a truck, don't want to spend anymore.

I currently search AutoRV, Auto Trader, Truck Trader, and local classifieds daily. Any other places you guys suggest looking?

Any things I should look for when looking at these trucks?

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Why Western?

The fact that you've saved that kind of coin is quite impressive. However, I feel a certain responsibility to advise you on some OTHER longterm choices you could make. Any thoughts on saving for school? Cutting grass is a great job and the perfect alternative to working at McDonald's or Albertson's, but try to keep focus where it's most important (your future, which for the next handful of years is likely to be academics). $10k is probably 3-4 semesters of a community college education with books & various expenses. Add a few more years of saving by continuing what you've been doing, and you're good to go. This is not to say that spending a little to acquire a truck for landscaping wouldn't be a better alternative than shuffling cars like you've been doing (and face it, grandma's gonna need that Jeep back if she's gonna be your landscape install crew!).

I have to add before you get all defensive, that there are people here with the misconceptions that they're gonna be the next Donald Trump in a plow truck, and that money is more valuable than education. I hope you don't fall into that mentality because a degree is something that is NEVER taken away, and it gives you a great many additional tools for good business should your entrepreneurship grow into something more.

I will tell you firsthand that staying local at a small college, working your own business around classes, is a fantastic way to achieve what you want. I have a bachelor's degree, I run a year-round landscaping business AND work as a firefighter/paramedic in what is my 20-year pension job. Not only has school allowed me to "write gooder" than before, but it's also allowed me to learn so much more about the business world.

Good luck!

3. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

What YardMedic said, x2

I have an engineering degree but work fulltime as a FF/EMT, am just getting my feet wet with plowing and I'm only 24. You have a long time in this world, what's another 2 years of school going to hurt (or more if you end up liking it) - I was in your shoes 7 years ago, but since I had so many people telling me to go to school, I need to pass it on...

Thats awesome that you have that much money saved and that business is good, but I would think twice about putting all my eggs in one basket. My main reasoning for going to college was "what will I do if I get hurt at work?" I guarantee you won't feel like going back to school when your 30.

You can thank YM for getting me on the soap box :dizzy:
  4. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Thanks guys!

Western Plows are my favorite, i've ran Meyer, and Western (two main brands around here) and the Western was def. my pick. Most of the of guys around here use them, and parts are incredibly easy to get.

As far as school, i've put about $3k/year in my school account for the last two years, and once i get bigger, i will increase that amount. So, money for School isn't a problem, and at the rate i'm saving for it, I should be fine.

As far as an education, i plan on attending a community college for two years, and then transferring to a different college (undecided) for the other two years. I plan on getting my Associates Degree, and studying Horticulture, Landscape Design, Turf Management, and Landscaping (installs). All that while still running my business.

Thanks for the help!

BTW, guys on LawnSite are telling me to go for a diesel, or a one ton dump. What do you guys think of that?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

6. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

7. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Too expensive?? I thought you had 10,000 to spend on a truck...or did you add an extra "0" by mistake...LOL
  8. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

That truck is nice, just i don't want to spend that much on a truck.

9. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

IDK man, if I were you I'd save up some more and buy yourself a nice 01-05 GMC/Chevy 2500HD, I bought my truck last spring, I already had my permit for a few months, before I got my truck I just made do with the vehicles we had (like you're doing). That truck someone else posted on here does look like a pretty good deal- perhaps you should contact the seller, see if you can talk him down to $9000 even, you'd be all set with the plow and all. Myself, I wanted a newer truck (mine's an 03), with low miles (had 39,000 when I bought it)- see my signature for the truck details, that was in great shape! I decided to wait a while longer to get a truck when I had more $$$ to spend, and get exactly the truck I wanted (searched for at least 8 months before I found my truck). I know this probably isn't the response you want to hear (wait another 8 or so months to buy a truck), but trust me, the extra $$$ to buy exactly the truck you want will pay off! Just my $.02
  10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Idk where pekin is at but the truck I posted can't be to far away. Maybe worth takin a drive up here to look at it.
  11. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Thanks dude, i remember when you got your truck, i saw the thread on LawnSite. As far as a newer truck, i like them, but i LOVE the older body style's a lot more! The truck posted was nice, but even $9k is more than i want to spend right now, i'm looking for something in the $6-8k range, without a plow. But i may contact him. I am actually going to look at a truck tomorrow, and if I like it, i'm making an offer, being the price it's listed at is outrageous.

BTW I just sent a PM to that guy selling that truck. I'd be suprised if it is still available, it looks like new!!

12. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I would wait until spring or early summer to purchase a truck. This is the worst time of year to buy a truck.
  13. TurbDies2500

TurbDies2500 Senior Member

I don't know about a Western Plow. I would go with Fisher. I have had both and the Fisher is 20 times better. I would try and find a truck that has no been used for a work truck. I would find one in good shape without a plow or any type or trailer hitch or dump body or bed. It is always good to start with an truck that hasn't been abused yet. I would try and find a newer truck if you could. Maybe a 2001 or something like that. A 2500HD would be great for what you want to do. You can probably find a good 2001 or so in good shape for that price. I would start looking now and buy something in the spring when the demand for trucks is low and the supply is harder. I started out with the good old 1999 1500 extended cab for plowing. I think that was a mistake. Nothing ever broke on it but it did not have much balls.
  14. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

theres a guy in the FS section that has a 2001 2500hd with a plow and spreader for something like $7500.
  15. Omaha Plowboy

Omaha Plowboy Member

Honestly, I like older Chevy 4 wheel drive trucks with solid front axle and I also prefer a short wheel base. IFS doesn't seam too hold up as well as a solid front axle. Don't get me wrong, a 10 bolt isn't my first choice either. If money wasn't a issue, I'd swap in a set of 1 tons from a K30. I'm a big fan of the late 80's K5 Blazer. I plow in a 89 K5. Only things I'd change about it is I'd do a 2" lift, and a set of 1 ton axles. The one I plow with currently has 33" Mud Kings, and they work great in snow. But it's a company truck, and the boss isn't about to put one cent in these trucks he doesn't have too. Was hard enough talking him into the mud tires.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Just buy the truck you are describing. I would stay away from a dump, because you would look a little funny on a date with a girl JMO! Atleast with a reg cab pick up you can take the ez dumper out and make it look decent. JMO!
  17. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Thanks guys! I am currently looking at that truck suggested above (the 1996, red GMC 2500 w/plow). I had a friend of mine (W.L.S here on PlowSite) go look at it for me earlier today. Now i just gotta convince the parents to go look at it with me:angry::angry:

18. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

yeah do a search and it has a v-box in it...nice truck for $7500
  19. z71plowguy

z71plowguy Senior Member

20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic