1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying my first new plow, need advice.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by BARRACUDA1968, Aug 21, 2009.

1. BARRACUDA1968

BARRACUDA1968 Junior Member

Hello I am in the market for a V Plow to put on my 2000 CK3500 dually Cab and Chassis to plow my car dealership lot and some residential properties too.

I used to use Western V Plows when I worked for my previous employer and I liked them fine.

From the research I've done it seems the Boss plow is a good buy for the money.

The Western plow is about $500 more for about the same thing, at least where I live in S.E. Iowa.

I'm considering the Boss steel blade XT. My price is $5080 cash and carry.

I am looking for pros and cons of the Boss vs the Western.

Thanks Brett

2. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

I like the boss it is very easy to hook up. the xt is very nice for the money. the boss plow is a lot faster then western.

3. BARRACUDA1968

Thanks for the reply!

I talked to a Western salesperson today and he said the Western was 40% fatser than the Boss?

Does the Boss use chains to lift the blade or hydraulics?

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Lets see,the western dealer said his plow is faster? :confused:

Go Boss!:drinkup:

5. BARRACUDA1968

That's what he said, 40%. LOL

How hard is it to mount the Boss 9.2 V Plow on a 2000 1 ton Chevy Truck?

6. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

being a boss, western, meyers, buyers, henke and others. I can say the boss is the faster.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Boss is direct lift preferred by many to the chain lift

8. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

What happens if it breaks down? Theres no chain to tighten up. And please...dont try tell me it doesnt break down.

I do agree they're fast, dont know if they're faster, but the new Westerns are more than fast enough. JMO

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Run it up a snow bank and put a strap on it.

10. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Just another damn thing to remember to bring.

11. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I run both of these plows. Western is the way to go and I'll tell you why. Locking cylinders are standard whereas Boss makes you pay extra for them. Western's Cab Command controller allows the plow to go in and out of "scoop" with a single touch and with Boss you have to push a couple buttons.

Western also offers a trip edge which is superior to the Boss plow's full trip moldboard.

Also, Western uses a chain lift which allows for better stacking than the direct lift option from Boss.

The choice is clear if you ask me :drinkup:

12. BARRACUDA1968

That answered another question I had. We used to throw snow 15 feet high in a pile with the westerns.

I have a car dealership so it's important to me to be able to get the snow as high as I can in case we have a long winter.

13. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

not bad talking boss sence i own one, but if i were to buy a v blade it would deff be a western due to the trip edge, it saves your truck, vs boss you fly over the object or you come to a dead stop! jmo

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Overall I have been pleased with my Fisher XV, very similar to the Western. Never owned a boss so I can't give any direct comparison though.

How about some pics of the 'Cuda?

15. BARRACUDA1968

How does the triple edge save your truck?

I'm plowing a large gravel parking lot thats un-even in a lot of places.

I will also be doing some farm driveways too.

I don't want a plow that bites in to everything.

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Trip edge, not triple edge. There are two styles of trip out there. Trip edge, and full moldboard trip. The trip will allow your plow to go "over" an obstacle, rather than bringing you to a instant halt. Springs are used to the hold the blade in normal position, but give if you hit something solid. The trip edge is just that, a trip EDGE. Only the cutting edge of the blade will snap back as you go over an object.

On a full trip, the whole blade flops over.

The plow manufacturer web sites should show video of them in action.

17. BARRACUDA1968

Thanks for that info, I definately want something that won't stop me in my tracks. I won't be plowing any paved parking lots. Pretty much all gravel.

So it sounds like I want to go the western then?

18. BARRACUDA1968

Here is a pic of the Cuda.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Tell us about the car:bluebounc:bluebounc

Plenty of time to deal with snowplowsLOL

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Tripping isn't the issue with gravel. You will scrape a layer off regardless of trip style. A trip edge may not dig as deeply as a full trip in soft gravel but will do more damage in the long run as it constantly pushes a layer of gravel along with the snow. Once the ground freezes they perform pretty much the same. What you need is a gravel guard, much easier to install on a straight blade or full trip plow. to make one simply slice a piece of pipe (1.25 "-2") lengthwise and weld on a couple tabs so you can attach it in place. If you get a Vee you will need two short units and remember they can not go all the way to the middle.

IMO the Boss is the better engineered unit of the two, has the lower maintenance and repair costs. smart locks are not necessary if you are not doing any back dragging and if you are considering the simplicity factor they are a excellent product.

As far as cost, if they want more for the Boss with smart locks then the Western:confused: take a your western quote to the boss dealer:D

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009