1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying first plow questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ellinas83, Aug 27, 2015.

1. ellinas83

ellinas83 Junior Member

I'm only going to be plowing my commercial property. Any ideas on how much I should spend on a plow
  2. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

How big is the lot?
    What vehicle will the plow be going on?
  3. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

He's asking a question and it's in the new to the industry forum...so, if you don't have any helpful advice or replies for the new member then NO need to respond

4. ellinas83

ellinas83 Junior Member

its for the parking lot where my restaurant is. I have not decided what truck to invest in..The 2000 f350 4x4 seemed like a good option..Any suggestions on a truck
  5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I thought I asked that already....., my bad.
  6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

That would be a good truck, 8ft min plow would be suggested.

Have you looked into insurance yet?
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Ok, who is going to be doing the plowing?
    You or the dishwasher?

who is going to be plowing when it's snowing all day long?

your/you truck will still need to have commercial vehicle ins, make sure snow plowing is listed.
    doesn't matter if he owns the business or not.

got salt?

it's all a business expense.

Hire a professional service.

or are you looking to get a truck using your business to pay for it?

ps, he may be a newcomer but this is a commercial business, question
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Then what is your plan when it's snowing Hard, , dumping, a blizzard....
    And your trannnamission takes a crap or something else?
    Then what, do you think the rest of the competent plow-jockeys are going to drop everything their doing for a one time plow job?

What is your liability exposure now?
    A1/4 plowed lot and the van from the old folks home just pulled in...
    It sounds like a money saver getting a truck and plowing the lot.....
  9. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Ford F-350 4x4 is a perfect truck. As Olddog said get a plow at least 8' in length. choose a brand that has local service and parts support. Same with the salt spreader. Get good warning lights and a backup beeper installed, and most importantly, get ghe right kind of insurance.

Then take all those numbers, factor in what your time is worth, and if that time is better served focusing on keeping the restaurant running, and compare it all against having a service.

If you still think it's cost effective to handle the snow yourself, have at it.
  10. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Me, I'm a Western man, did have a Curtis and it never let me down. You can find lots of used stuff usually after September starts. What do you spend on an average winter for snow removal. you will have to notify you insurance carrier that you are doing this yourself. Better add another million to your general liability.