1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying ATV "help"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MD Power Plow, Aug 21, 2005.

1. MD Power Plow

MD Power Plow Senior Member

Hi everyone I am looking to add a new ATV to my inventory I have talked to different. dealers and they have told me that all I need is a 400cc. If anyone has any input about "cc. name brands or anything else ,I would appreciate it.

2. nextdoorlabor

nextdoorlabor Junior Member

as far as power goes you could probably slide with a 300 or 350 but depends on the brand as not all engines are the same. also depends on how deep the snow is your tryin to push. would you use it for walks etc while plowing with the storm?

3. MD Power Plow

I have thought that the min. should be 400cc and yes this would be for walks and small spaces between all the ATV's is there one brand that has a better track recored then another "I see a few guys w/Polaris"

4. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i have a 350 wolverine 4x4 it works well as long as the snow is light
    if i were going to do it again .id opt for min. 500 cc and high and low range

john

5. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Cardoctor is right. Go with at least a 500 cc machine. It must have both 4 wheel drive high and 4X4 low. Also, make sure your machine has a differential lock. Typically you have to get to 500 cc machines in order to get a 4 wheel low gear and a diff. lock. Get an automatic transmission as it is much easier to deal with in the snow. As much as I like Honda small engines, equipment, etc., I couldn't recommend Honda as they have not kept pace with the other major brands in the ATV department. I hear Honda will be coming out with newly designed ATVs but I don't know when. Suzuki makes a nice 500cc Vinson and it has all the right stuff. Their King Quad is even bigger and better. Yamaha doesn't make a 500cc machine and their Kodiak 450 is kind of small(frame size) and light for plowing. They make a beautiful 660cc Grizzly that has what you want. I'm told Kawasaki makes a nice mid-sized machine but I've never put a Kawasaki to the test so I can't comment. Polaris machines are made here in the U.S. They, of course were big snowmobile makers before getting into ATVs and their love for snow is evident with their ATVs. I woudn't get their Sportsman 500 but instead would look at their Sportsman 800EFI. It's a real heavy machine which is good for snowplowing and also has electronic ignition. Arctic Cat also makes a nice 500cc machine. I don't know a lot about them but see loads of them when I'm in New Hampshire during the winter and people tell me they love them. If I had to pick a machine after doing a price/feature comparison, I would get the Yamaha Grizzly and have the dealer swap out the stock tires for some aggresive tires. Your best bet is to visit all the major brand dealers, tell them what you're going to do with the machine, and see what they have to say and go from there. One last thing. All the major brands will be fine, including Honda, so long as you get a 4X4 that has a low gear and a differential lock. Just make sure you get a plow and a winch. You'll find the winch comes in reeeal handy sometimes.

6. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

I have used a kawi prairie 700 with no problems.

Roy

7. MD Power Plow

is it a big thing to deal with belt the one dealer told me that it is a prolbem in kal. he was pushing the yamaha.what is the diff. between the prarie and the brut force.

8. frndinalowplace

frndinalowplace Senior Member
    from 7hills

Arctic Cat All The Way I Have Two Of Them One Is 400cc The Other 650 V Twin Arctic Cat Is The Way To Go

9. MD Power Plow

Anyone have pic. of there atv I would love to see them :nod:

10. salopez

salopez Senior Member

MDPP
    Have you thought about going with a compact utility tractor for side walks? It might give you alittle more versititly, but might not be as much fun. You can get cabs and loaders and blowers for it. It could be used to move pallets of salt and the such.

Just food for thought.

11. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

As you say your dealer was pushing the yamaha soooooo.......
    I and a few friends ride Kawi 700's no belt problems. They are ridden hard, been submerged and rolled, The brute force has independent rear suspension, the prarie has a solid axle. I'm of the belief that the solid is stronger, less moving parts. The I/S will give a smoother ride on the trail so the ad's say anyway. Also the Brute Force is a new machine and has some quirks to work out like any new model.
    Disclaimer:I have yet to ride a brute force so ymmv.

try this, www.buykawasaki.com Has info you are looking for.

Roy