1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying an ex-tow truck

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by lim.pat.b, Aug 14, 2016.

1. lim.pat.b

lim.pat.b Junior Member

There's a 2001 F350 with the v10 4x4 for sale for a very good price. It has 133k miles and looks like it towed heavy trailers because it has a 5th wheel. I am planning on using this to put a 1.5-2 yard vbox in the bed.

The truck's body has dents and scratches but I am not concerned about that. I am more concerned about the very used and worn 5th wheel in the bed.

So my question is, would you guys recommend to buy a truck that has towed heavy for majority of its life or should I go for a newer truck that has not towed or plowed to salt with? My thought is that I am going to run the truck to the ground so might as well get a used truck but I cannot have the truck leaving me stranded with a vbox in the bed.

Thanks in advance, Pat.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Just look it over really well, and don't forget to check all the fluids for level, smell, and color.

3. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

X2, Unless you know the seller I would want to make sure the gears are all there and shifting correctly, The tow haul to. If the truck seems ok it will work for you.

4. lim.pat.b

lim.pat.b Junior Member

Thanks guys for the replies. The test drive made me not want the truck. The transmission rattles slightly right before it goes into next gear and it looks like whatever they pulled was heavy because the 5th wheel got pulled up and the bed is slightly dented from it when you look in person. The dented bed would probably interfere with a vbox spreader. Thanks for the the quick response guys!