1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying an '98 Bronco

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chip Hedrick, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Chip Hedrick

Chip Hedrick Junior Member

I've been on the lookout for a 3/4 ton p/u (for non-comercial plowing of short private road and some light/moderate towing), but the mid-'90s p/u's I've come across look like they've been worked VERY, VERY HARD.

Today I found an '89 Bronco w/5.8 ltr V8. 132,000 mi. $3,200.00 asking price. Never plowed with. Power everything. New rubber. Excellent body (except for one dent behind the passenger's side wheel well). Frame looks excellent. Owner replaced intake manifold and dual exhaust.

Don't think I can pass this one up. Normally, I would think $3200 for a vehicle of this age and mileage is a little steep, but this one's in excellent condition.

Any one have any experience with this vintage of Ford or with plowing/towing with a full size Bronco?
  2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Never used one but i and others on this site will tell you that it will be great for plowing and should tow what you need it to tow. Now are you thinking of getting a new or used plow? Any brands in mind? Good luck with the new truck!!
  3. Chip Hedrick

I haven't decided on what type of plow yet. Assuming I buy the Bronco I will go with something of moderate weight. I've heard the Bronco front suspension isn't the strongest in the world.

I'm going to keep an eye open for used plows, but I need to do some research before I make a purchase because I honestly don't know much about them. I'm thinking that a 7' would meet my needs and not be too heavy.

However, I'm to buy a brand new plow if that'swhat it takes to get something appropriate for the vehicle.

I will also take all reasonalbe precautions (heavier springs, Timbrens, air bags, etc.) to beef up the suspension.
  4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Should be fine with almost any plow under 8' and 8' would not even be out of the question. All depends on what you like, you have a wide choice of plows with the bronco look around you will find something that will fit your needs and your truck.:nod:
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

That price does not sound bad at all.If it is not beat-up and rusted out you can always replace parts and keep it on the road.
    Just look at the underside very carefully, the mounts for the body to the frame tend to rust out and body pan seams too
    I have a F-250 with the same engine and a C-6 transmission, it still runs strong and passes emissions tests with 150k on it. Hopefully you can work on it yourself, they tend to have minor repairs needed here and there.Parts can be a challenge too, Ford no longer has a lot of stuff available. Change the auto hubs to manuals before you start plowing they tend to die. Add a towing transmission cooler since your going to plow with it.
  6. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I have a 88 bronco. I found that you have to put lift springs on the front to compensate for the plow. It gets in tight corners really good. Just make sure you use at least 300 lbs of ballast. Mine only has the 5.0L, and it has plenty of power. I'll probably run it till it dies, fix it and run it some more. I love it!
  7. Chip Hedrick

I'm glad to hear good reports about Broncos and plowing.

This vehicle looks very clean inside and out. By the way, it has manual hubs.

I'm going back tomorrow morning to crawl underneath to take a closer look and to take it for a test drive.

I think even my wife will be on board with this purchase. She grew up in Montana and her father has had the same '79 Bronco for years. She learned how to drive in it, took family trips in it, etc.
  8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

broncos are very good to bad they stopped production like in the 2 door tahoe and ramcharger very good trucks
  9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I just got back from the Cleveland Auto show. They have a concept vehicle that's modeled after the mid 70's small size Bronco.The finish looked like brushed stainless steel. It had the removable roof too. My son had to pull me away after 10 minutes of staring at it on the turn table. I do hope they do bring it to production. I am so tired of all the" look alike " 4x4's anymore! Everybody's flocking around the H2 display like it's the first SUV they have ever seen.