1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

buying a western, have a few questions!!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mass1589, Mar 23, 2012.

1. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

hey everyone im looking at a western mvp... it is a great price thats fit my budget!!

im told its a uni mount. im not very up on westerns i only ran fishers before.

my questions are can i buy a wire harness/push plates for a 2003 to present f250 f350, or silverado 2500 3500 or dodge 2500 3500 ???

will any fisher parts work on this plow? im seeing some joystcks online that look just like fisher and see western and fisher talked about....

any help here would be greatly apreciated!!!

thanks in advance
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Unless it's dirt cheap I would pass. Setting up a Uni on a later truck such as those in your example isn't easy to source the correct truck side components for and it is not inexpensive to do correctly. Try to find an Ultra if you can instead, it will be more cost effective and less headache in the long run.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Fisher and western wiring is pretty much interchangeable. the mounts are very different though. You will need to buy a Ultramount vehicle mount and a unimount conversion kit.
  4. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

im getting it for 700?? i am hoping to be in a setup for 2000?? am i off in numbers here??
  5. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

i was talking to a few people and was getting quoted ball park numbers of 1000 for wiring and truck mounts?

then i have a company who can completly re powdercoat the entire setup factory matched, for 400....

soo if my friends numbers were right i was thinkn i could have a great looking plow for a great price of 2100?
  6. $chultz38

$chultz38 Junior Member
    from Iowa

I was in the same boat last fall. The conversion bracket alone is like 600 plus the ultra truck mount is around 500 then the wiring to go to multi plex is another 1500? to get the night halk lights. After that you will still have that pos rubber center cutting edge and slow moving plow plump.
  7. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

the ultramount to unimount adapter with an ultramount mount should be about $650. Isolation module wiring for an mvp should be about $525, and you'd still have to convert the plow to iso for another 200-325 depending on if you rewire the light or replace them. You may end up with a truck that can use relay wiring, which would be cheaper, but if you get newer than 05 or so you'll need iso.
    Are you saying the plow won't have a control with it? that's another $389 right there for a new one.

If you know for sure what truck you want to mount it on, and what comes with the plow, I can tell you exactly what you will need.
  8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You should have a look at a uni that is mounted with the adapter before you commit to this. The adapters are not only expensive but they push the weight of the plow forward about eight inches farther that the original uni mount would have it. I have installed a few of these and people are generally not impressed once they see it. The V is a heavy plow to start with and then having it so far forward just makes things worse. The only redeeming feature of what you are doing is that your truck will be rigged up to accept a later model ultra-mount plow with little or no changes if you go with the isolation module setup. Then when you decide to bite the bullet and buy a modern plow you won't have to pay to change the truck.

One more suggestion my friend.... Try the plow out for a season before you spend the money to get it painted. That way you won't have wasted your money when you realize what an old thing you actually have. I think the first time you hook it up and remove it again you will think twice about spending more money on it. If you never plan to take it off the truck and if you don't need the truck for anything else you might be happy but don't expect that plow / setup to be practical for comercial use.

Take a real good look at that plow before you buy it. A plow that old is bound to be badly worn at the pivot pin etc. If you have to do a lot of welding etc to make it tight then that total $ target may easily go out the window.
  9. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

mishnick makes good points, as always. But, we do a lot of unimounts with the ultra/uni adapter here and haven't had the negative feedback. Looks like we did 28 in the last 12 months, and this wasn't even a good year for snow here. The good point about it is that you can unpin the adapter in the summer and get all that weight off the front and get your ground clearance back, whereas with an original unimount mount that all stays on the truck.