1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying a used pro plus

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by atom1013, Oct 28, 2012.

1. atom1013

atom1013 Junior Member

I was about to buy a brand new 8' pro plus the other day $4800 Plus tax , installed. Then I came across a guy selling one 3 years old a couple towns over asking $3000 got him down to $2500 with new mount and electrical ill be into it for $3200. Think it's worth it? I always have bought used, always. I sub for the highway department so new doesn't really matter to me. They pay for parts and this plow had very little time on it.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The one you are looking at will be the previous generation three cable probably with a three port isolation module, if it has a four port isolation module it is even older. The new plow would have been a two plug with what they call "multiplex" control. The big advantage of the new technology is that you can swap between various types of plows without the need to buy new cables or controllers. With multiplex you can run a wide-out, MVP+ or a straight blade. On the old plow you are stuck with that one model. If you wanted to run anything else you would have to have new cables and a new controller installed. I think the seller knows this and wants to unload it so he can upgrade to a new multiplex model.

Think about this for a second..... With a new plow you get (if it's the same there as at my shop) two winter's warranty, with the used plow you get no warranty. With the new plow you have a new plow! It's never hit a curb, the cutting edge is 100%, and you get new fresh fluid too so there is no need to do any service until next fall. Also note that the new plow will have grease zerks on the pivot bar ends whereas the old model has none. (Very close to the mounts, where the plow hinges when it moves up and down) Western made this change for a reason... because these pins seize up and cost people money to fix. For just over $1000 I think this is a no brainer. If it was the difference between the same model, same generation I would go for used but in this case there are big advantages on the new model. It has been my experience that we have to be quiet about the fact that there is a new version coming out because once people know and hear about the improvements it becomes very difficult to sell our old version inventory. Hope this gives you some food for thought.

3. atom1013

atom1013 Junior Member

Thanks i really appreciate the response. i still think i am going with the used one. Main reason is I have the cash for it and the new one i would need to finiace some and i would rather not. I would love to just go get the new one but i know the best thing money wise is to get the used one. Thanks again

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Well at least now you can make an informed decision. However, now that you are armed with this knowledge you might try renegotiating with the seller. Perhaps you can get him to drop his price a bit.