1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying a used plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by frogspit, Feb 18, 2003.

1. frogspit

frogspit Junior Member

First off , I'm new to this site . So,some of the things I ask may seem rather lame .
    I have an old (84) Gmc 35004x4 sitting around . I'd like to put a plow on it . I don't want to go to the expense of a new plow. I'd like to get a used one . The truck has never been used to plow , so I'll need to buy the whole assembly . (mount etc.. )
    It also is bare frame (no Bed ) how much weight should I add to the rear of the vehicle ? Where would you suggest I look for a plow, and what should I expect to pay ? TIA , John

2. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Well John, you've come to the right place for information. Welcome to plowsite. You've probably come at the wrong time since all the easterners have probably gone to bed for a few days. I'm not sure about weights and such but you can try the used equipment forum for possible plows for the truck. Ignore the guys who say bad things about Meyer plows you'll find there are quite a few with them.:)
    '84 is not old, it's broken in, Grshprs trucks are old. Pre(historic) '80's and he loves them and they bring him in the cash, what more could you want.
    Just wait you'll get lots of advice.

3. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Check on ebay.
    I bought mine that way and had good luck. Just be careful to research the buyer, chtucker had a real bad experience.
    I had to drive a bit but it was well worth it. Picked up the plow, seen some pretty great country, had a weekend with my family, and even got to visit some old friends in the process.

Good luck,
    Mark K

4. farmertim

farmertim Member

Got just what you need!!

I have two westerns for sale that will fit your rig.
    I run a 83 chev 1 ton diesel 4X4, most consider it old but its paid for and still in good shape.
    You can find a flat bed to fit on your truck for less than 700.00, or a V box to spread sand & salt for about the same .
    What ever you buy to put on back make sure it can handle about 800 lbs or so, thats the weight you'll need to keep the rear working, unless its a single rear and you can get by with less..
    depends on your market.
    Email me I'm headed your way this spring...
    :waving:

5. fast68

fast68 Junior Member

so did i pass up a good thing when i didnt buy a rusted out junk bodied but running 78 K20 with 400sbc and th400 and 203 with a running complete plow setup all for 900 last fall? i was gonna keep the plow and 400 and sell rest of truck for 500 but i skipped the truck, 70's 4x4 are really a rare thing around here and early 80s; now also, they antique

good luck